i gottrans questions and lift questions? Wana help answer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Ok this may sound stupid but it feals likemy 89 fj-62 has 5gears. am i corect or does it onlyhave 4 gears and im fealing the tourqe converter locking in after it goes into 4th gear?

When does your overdrive tranny shift?
mine was going from second to third at 40mph recentlyive takeing the truck on two big trips and one small trip. all togetherlike 4thousand miles.
Nowmysecond goes into third at 50mph is this a sign my trans is goin bad or do i just need a new tourqe converter. Ima newby at these toyota things.
third was shiftin out at 55 nowit gies to 65mph

and lift question .i no you get what ya pay for. but honestlyhow good is the ruff country 4 inch lift kit? I can get it order for under 550 to my front door. susposed to be complete kit everything needed.

im shore they will sag eventualy but i needto put these 33s i got on and take these all terrain 32s off.

WckedMidas said:
Ok this may sound stupid but it feals likemy 89 fj-62 has 5gears. am i corect or does it onlyhave 4 gears and im fealing the tourqe converter locking in after it goes into 4th gear?

When does your overdrive tranny shift?
mine was going from second to third at 40mph recentlyive takeing the truck on two big trips and one small trip. all togetherlike 4thousand miles.
Nowmysecond goes into third at 50mph is this a sign my trans is goin bad or do i just need a new tourqe converter. Ima newby at these toyota things.
third was shiftin out at 55 nowit gies to 65mph

and lift question .i no you get what ya pay for. but honestlyhow good is the ruff country 4 inch lift kit? I can get it order for under 550 to my front door. susposed to be complete kit everything needed.

im shore they will sag eventualy but i needto put these 33s i got on and take these all terrain 32s off.

AFAIK, the A440F is a 3 speed tranny with an overdrive. so what you feel is the overdrive engaging. Many people drive it in 3rd in the city, to avoid the overdrive engaging too often.

Try changing the fluid before messing with anything else. Low fluid or old fluid will cause the symptoms you described.

There are many different lifts out there, but I have not heared or read about he ruff country. 550 seems very cheap-most other complete kist are more in the range of 1200 to 1500, including shocks, shackles, pins, bushings, steering stabilizer and springs.
HTH
Jan

I would not expect a very good ride with that lift, especially with a name like Ruff Country. It is definitely true with lifts, you get what you pay for

Im not looking for a comfy caddy ride. im wanting less leanign in turns. More ground clearance. and more room for the 33 12/50s im about to put on. And a grand pluss is just breaking the bank right now. I curently have the 33s sitting on my brooken jeep lmfao . They brand new trxs with 500 miles on them. never seen a trail yet even.

I guess im asking for oppinions on the ruff country jkit. i plan on some mild rock crawling , lots of trail rideing i go to the mountains every chance i get and . the leaning tower of cruiser scears the shyt out of me.

Pluss i got stuck over the weekend trying to go up a hill that was to steep for stock springs and 32s. back bumber got stuck on ground had to dig her out.

Im guessing its safe for me to drive up the mountains in third gear beins your saying people use third in city and all that makes me feal way better.

When does your all fj 62s shift from second to third? and third to 4th?

alsdo i got 257,666 miles on my cruiser right now. it sat for three years and was only started 4 or 5 times in them three years. till i bought it in october.

bump helpppppppppp]

Re the lift...cheapest option are add-a-leafs. Use the long ones. Approx $100 for four, but you'll need new u-bolts too. This will give you a lift, and stiffen the suspension. Probably help to reduce the roll you're feeling.

Re the tranny - drain and refill a few times. Clean fluid can do wonders. It holds a lot (more than 12 qts I think). But, only about 4 qts comes out when you drain it. That's why you need to do it a few times. Drain and fill, drive 50 miles, do it again. A gallong of ATF is $10, so it's a cheap thing that your tranny prolly needs anyway. See you your tranny works after 4 or 5 drain/fills...maybe it'll be better.

AS to the Rough Country Springs, I had some on a Toyota mini PU. They road like SH*T no flex, traded them for some taller softer springs Skyjacker I think, much better. The new springs out there now are even nicer. You get what you pay for most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom