I got the darned thing... now how do I drive it! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello there fellow enthusiasts! I am so happy to be here and to have my "brand new" landcruiser. I love the car and am eager to drive it all over the country! I only have a few questions I hope you all don't mind helping me with. I have a 1997 HZJ80 diesel engine 4,164cc. The car is a monster (beautiful one!).

I know my question sounds dumb, but I gotta ask it! I have a friend that told me that I should never make it go above 3000rpms when driving and I am now confused. I thought I should not red line it, but 3000rpms is just about halfway. I do hear the motor "sounds" different above 3000rpms, but I don't know why. Can anyone confirm or deny this and explain why?

The car did not come with a winch and it has a regular muffler. Is it worth it to install a snorkel muffler? How about adapting a winch? mechanicla? Electric or thermal-electric (what IS thermal electric!) Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon.

Sergio

Sergio.

You might get a few (more) replies if you posted in the "International" section as diesel 80's/Cruisers were not offered in the US. ;)

If your Cruiser is new (but how could a '97 be "new" ;) , your friend probably means that you should not take it above 3,000rpm during breaking-in the motor to let your internals settle before revving it high. If your Cruiser is not new, then I don't see why you couldn't rev it up as you wish, as long as it's properly maintained.

As for the engine sounding different, if your "truck" (not a car :D ) did not come with turbo, which I see you didn't from your model number, I don't know what could cause it. Could there be a leak in the exhaust system?

Whether you'll want/need a snorkel or not depends on the type of driving you plan on doing. If you plan on doing off-road excursions, then it would be well worth it (necessary?) to get a snorkel. Same goes for the winch.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Mot

Here is a picture of her...
My baby_sm.jpg

Bienvenido!

well, I rarely -if ever- go above 3000 also, not cuz you can't but because I don't need nor want to!

HZJ80..............yeah wish we had them here in the US (and any other late model diesel cruiser)

Very nice. I love the roof rack...what part of Costa Rica? I have family in Turrialba. A snorkel could be useful in Costa Rica if you plan to do some expedition type driving...

Sergio, Welcome :flipoff2: What type or brand of roof rack is that, I really like it.

I'm not Sergio (Really! :flipoff2: ), but the rack almost looks like the OEM type which was offered here, like this (never mind the price tag) ....

But I don't need to remind you that I've been wrong before. ;)
OEM.jpg

typically diesel motors do not rev much past 3000-3500. I do not totally know toyota diesels but I would think this holds true. But you are saying your tachometer shows you can go to a higher redline. Can you take a picture of this and we may be able to give you better advice.
As for a snorkle, if you plan on crossing rivers and deep water then it would be a good thing to get one, if you want if for the cool factor, then by all means, it helps with dust and cooler air intake. Great looking ride. later robbie

Hi!

Even I have a land cruiser with same engine you have. I am experiencing a late start everyday.

Do you know how to adjust the injection timing for engines?

Thank you

The roof rack

As was mentioned, it is a rack that came from the factory. That's to the best of my knowledge.

serge01 said:
I know my question sounds dumb, but I gotta ask it! I have a friend that told me that I should never make it go above 3000rpms when driving and I am now confused. I thought I should not red line it, but 3000rpms is just about halfway. I do hear the motor "sounds" different above 3000rpms, but I don't know why. Can anyone confirm or deny this and explain why?

Sergio

Typically diesels in general can run hot exhaust temperatures if run at high RPMs for long periods, which can affect the heads. 3Bs can crack heads-I never take my 3B above 2500 rpm as there is no turbo in there yet.

It is being over cautious, but it can happen. a Pyrometer is a cheap and easy install for telling exhaust temps and as metioned before the "international cruiser" section has some great conversations regarding temps and affects to different toyota diesels.

Hola and welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom