I got stuck....your perspective (please). (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just ordered a set of Maxtrax and snatch block.

I was out with a friend 4xing on sand. He parked, we chilled out for an hour. Got up to leave, started his truck and sank one tire to the rim. He says thats ok I have a e-locker. Engages it, sinks the other rear tire. Now were down the diff in the rear. Then again he says... Its ok I have four wheel drive... and finally sinks the front end all the way to the pumpkin. I am watching this as I think I am a experienced wheeler and Im just shaking my head. I knew there was help near by and we had shovels. I let him learn a lesson. it was worth the laughs and 5 mins of shoveling. I got us out.

Yes it was a cruiser bj70.

Did he learn his lesson or you had to do it all over again? :lol::lol:

I'm planning my next lesson and this one involves water....

The same thing happened to me at Pismo Dunes. I was too used to my Tacoma, which I rarely need to air down, plus the 60 is a pretty heavy vehicle. 12 psi and a Maxxtraxx is your friend! I may someday spring for front and rear ARB lockers but all the above advice will most likely keep you moving. Glad you are having fun with her.

I remember learning the benefits of wet sand I was younger. Got stuck trying to get on the beach at Pismo. Night time, tide was up and we were in an 80-something Jimmy with bald tires. All was going well until the guy in front got stuck trying to avoid the incoming tide, and my friend who was driving locked up the wheels. By the time we were stopped, we were done for. As I looked to see how far in it was, I noticed a distinct lack of a front driveshaft. Apparently, he had to pull the transmission a few weeks earlier and "didn't have time" to put it back in.

As we were digging out, I watched a diesel pickup with a three axle 5th wheel drive through two feet of water, rolling coal, like it was nothing. We eventually got to the wet stuff and had no more traction issues, while on tires that had about as much bite as a newborn gumming a pacifier.

It is definitely a learning experience though, as a lot have already said. I'm bored at work and LOVE to beat dead horses. The more I learned with the 60, the more I came to respect the capabilities of the near stock setup. I've been out with people in some really nice ($$$) Jeeps and could hang without breaking a sweat. Practice, practice, practice.

If you're going to Patagonia, you're likely getting a roof rack. Put your MaxTrax up there, either strapped to the rails or inside a box on your roof.

Thanks for all of the comments and advice.

I don't venture on to sand all that often. Honestly most of my driving, probably like most everyone else's is on pavement. Having said that, I definitely like the "skinnier" tires. I just recently replaced my tires and went back with the same size....33x10.5x15. I would have gone with 9.5 if they were available. I have the 9.5 on my 40 and it drives noticeably better than the 62. The wider tires seem to want to wander in the pavement ruts. Hopefully the skinnier tires also produce better gas mileage and less wear on the front drive line.

87, that's a great memory to have with your family. I love Mexico and my member pic or whatever you call it was taken at Agua Verdi in the Baja. If you ever get down that way it's one of the nicer beaches I've found.

As mentioned, the end game on all of this is a drive to Patagonia. I want to prepare as best I can for any eventuality that I might encounter on that trip. I'd rather get some experience here where I at least know the language. I put in on-board air this week and that should solve the air down/air up issue on sand or even other off road trails. I'm going to get the Maxtrax although I don't know at this point where I am going to carry them. I guess that will necessitate the rear bumper purchase. Damn, this stuff never seems to end. I also really appreciate the input on putting the locker in the back. My mechanic agreed with that so that's where I will start and plan to have that in by the end of the year.

Getting stuck a couple of weeks ago at Pacific City has turned out to be a good thing for me. Like I said.....I didn't bleed over it and it got me off my butt to do things I should have already done anyway.

I'm taking the slooooow comments to heart while in sand while maintaining momentum. Good input on tire pressure as well.

Another thing that I might have discovered and would appreciate input on is this; I tried to winch this stuck pig out of the sand pit I created and the winch pretty much "gave up." When installing the new compressor my mechanic put in the biggest deep cycle marine battery that would fit from Interstate. He said the old battery, also an Interstate was installed in '06 (man....hard to believe). So....if the battery was that old maybe it wasn't supplying full power to the winch thus reducing the pulling power? Does that make sense?? The winch is now pulling from the main starting battery. All of the accessories (refrig at this point) are on the aux battery. I bought a 90w solar panel which will charge the aux battery so I can set up on said Mexican beach for a week and not worry about running out of power.

This is becoming expedition portal material.

I will appreciate your comments about the winch not pulling maybe because of a less than ideal battery.

Thanks everyone.

I WILL make the drive to Patagonia someday.....that someday being when I'm no longer working and time will not be an issue. I'd love to be on the road several months if not an entire year for that trip. Ideally I would like to go with 3 or 4 other rigs. I guess that I will start looking around for folks when the time gets closer which is likely another 5-6 years.

I already have a very good Inti rack. Love that think but unfortunately all of the real estate is taken up with a Baroud tent (which I love). I'm going to have a rear bumper built which will hold the MaxTrax. I already have them ordered and are actually supposed to arrive tomorrow.

MaxTrax and Treds all come with mounting hardware to attach to a rack or something. You can also use zip ties or straps to attach to the edge or railing of your rack. For a Patagonia trip, figuring out where to mount these things will be one of your easier tasks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom