I got an 80 and I love it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool. I was in Doha Y2K. With a Marine Corp FAST Platoon. Didn’t get to do much there because the USS Cole was bombed and we split immediately. But being in the Middle East certainly stoked my passion for land cruisers.

Completed the break in yesterday, did some on road testing today it was a blast!

Absolute joy to drive now, smooth and comfortable.

Tire shredding torque! This thing is a burnout machine, no joke, dump the clutch on first, toss it in second and it just keeps going!

Haven't tested it off road yet though, will do so tomorrow.

In preparation for the off-road test tomorrow, I will be installing 2.0 new Amada extreme shocks and a tough dog steering stabilizer, since KING shocks are out of stock unfortunately, checked with all local retailers. Amada extreme shocks are the next best option, since I tested them on my LC100 and loved the performance.

I will also be installing new 34.5 inch Maxxis balloon tires, since the current tires are old, expired, and in bad condition which is why I am burning them up, it would be a shame to just toss them out.

I also tested 0-120 MPH, got 0-60 in 8.73 seconds which is significantly faster than the old engine, that's even faster than my LC100. It has potential to get a even lower time, the launch wheelspin from the bad tires + me not being used to the long travel between shifts is what's costing me getting the best time.

I will take it to a Dyno next week and upload the powerband and results.

Videos & Pics:

20211030_033527000_iOS.png

20211030_033822000_iOS.png

Last edited:
Yep seems like you broke it in!

Its been a while!, I ended up selling this 80 series to my friend a while back, but it was pretty fun.

I forgot to upload the off-road footage, I should have taken the time to record more footage as this did not do it justice really, it climbs steep stuff really well banging off the rev limiter with not much momentum.

The power and torque was great for having fun in the dunes, and the part time 4 wheel drive made it fun for drifting around and doing donuts. I am assuming you guys only got all time 4WD transfer cases in the states in your 80 series, if I am not mistaken? Mine had H2 (2WD), N, H4 (50/50 4WD), L4 (50/50 Low Range), some variants only came with H4, N, L4 but they were rare, mostly on automatics. I noticed that AWD versions usually have a rough bang when it shifts gears and the steering has a bit more resistance. If you go back and fourth between 2WD and AWD you will know exactly what I mean.

At the end of the video of me climbing a dune, you can tell how well it holds its power, it does not bog down even on large steep dunes on second gear.

Wow, what a fun build. Lots of options we don't have here with US-spec 80s. The 3 or 3.5 exhaust makes a lot of sense with no cats to worry about.

What are your plans now that she's been sold?

Wow, what a fun build. Lots of options we don't have here with US-spec 80s. The 3 or 3.5 exhaust makes a lot of sense with no cats to worry about.

What are your plans now that she's been sold?
Yeah lots of different variants here, must be because of all the demand!, 1991-1997 we had several different trims, GXR being the SR5 equivalent with cloth seats and no rear a/c, and VXR being flagship the luxury one. Manual and automatic, spare tire carrier and without(like the one in the states).

I plan on purchasing another 80 series soon actually. I thought that selling it and moving on would actually work, but I did not have enough yet. Id rather own old land cruisers than newer luxury cars any day, I just enjoy that lifestyle.

You had the ability to put two spare tires, one in the back on the carrier, and one in the bottom(the traditional spare location) from the factory which was really nice.

Spare_1.jpg

Spare_2.jpg

As for my plans, I lied to myself when I sold it and said "I want to move past this life", that could not be further from the truth. I want that life back, I am getting another 80 in the near future and I am getting my hands dirty like I always have (including 100 series cruisers). Just a more enjoyable lifestyle for me then having a brand new one.

@ToyotaIsLife have you had the stroker in the dunes?
Not as of yet, but I already did the necessary preparations like king shocks , 34.5 inch tyres etc.

I will start thrashing at at the dunes soon, and will hopefully be able to make some better more entertaining content out there with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom