I found a very cheap 2000 land cruiser locally, is this too good to be true? *Photos (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys ive been getting into land cruisers after lurking here for a few days. would you guys help me out and check this out, let me know if its a good deal.

he is asking $4800 obo.
year 2000
195k miles.
It appears to be in very good condition from the photos.
The wheels dont seem to be original but they are fine.
Do you think maybe the timing belt just hasnt been replaced hence the price?
(i did text the seller and asked if it was replaced and he said the previous owner did it but he did not have proof for the work that was done.)
I have not yet gone to see it in person.

00H0H_aTHfsq7zZwa_1200x900.jpg
00C0C_4ANLajvdiDd_1200x900.jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed.jpg

those two brown spots are in the same spot as my LX, and about the same size, and mine is 92.7% rust at this point in time.

also, rear tires look more worn than fronts, could mean it doesn't get serviced regularly or professionally (no regular rotation).

those two brown spots are in the same spot as my LX, and about the same size, and mine is 92.7% rust at this point in time.

also, rear tires look more worn than fronts, could mean it doesn't get serviced regularly or professionally (no regular rotation).
Wow thanks for the insight man i didnt even notice but now I think I know what you mean about the rust.

Those look like the Lexus LX 470 wheels like mine had. The rust on the hatch is a worry for sure.....tip of the proverbial iceberg. May be nothing. But, it could be EVERYTHING. I would suspect tires weren't rotated and have severe discrepancy in wear (NOT good on a 4wd and a good insight into the level of care the owner took in general).

Having said all that, everything could be very minor. If it doesn't require any significant expenses (Timing Belt/Water Pump, CVs, Steering Rack or Brake Booster and the rust on the undercarriage or in the wheel wells isn't bad), I'd consider it. Just know that tires are going to be an absolute necessity. So, you can be sure you're in for about $1k out of the gates minimum. Add another $300-$1000 in baselining fluids depending on if you do it yourself or outsource. I'd definitely check it out......just might get SUPER lucky. No reason to not look.

This certainly seems like a situation where you should at least take a look. Do it if for no other reason than to become better at spotting issues on future possibilities. Here is how I look at the big dollar items in previous purchases: when you pay to have them done after purchase or do them yourself after purchase, you know they wont be needed for a while. The timing belt can be expensive, but it is only a 90k interval... So you have a potential timing belt replacement (or rust, etc...)? See if you can talk him down at all because of this reason. Maybe not, but the closed mouth never eats.

Ha ha I guess the other option you could do is what I did on my LC, pay way more than market to find an owner who took care of everything for you!

I'd want to know where it spent its life up to now. IF always a 'Texas' vehicle (and not on the coast), chances are....it has little rust. But beware...there are thousands of previously 'flooded' vehicles that might be on the market from the Houston (and surrounding areas) after the big rain event we had there this past year.

man thank you guys so much for your replies you guys are awesome, I will see if I can arrange a viewing of the cruiser and ill update you guys if so.

For what it's worth, I got the Aisin timing belt kit on Amazon for $169. I lack the skills so I got on YourMechanic.com and paid $360 for the install. The guy did a great job and was done in just over 3 hours, in my own driveway. So that's not as big a cost as some make it out to be.

For what it's worth, I got the Aisin timing belt kit on Amazon for $169. I lack the skills so I got on YourMechanic.com and paid $360 for the install. The guy did a great job and was done in just over 3 hours, in my own driveway. So that's not as big a cost as some make it out to be.

Did that include the waterpump and bearings? If so, that is a CRAZY awesome deal. I'm getting quotes from between $1100 for the basic TB/WP job to $2100 including coils/plugs.

If so, that is a CRAZY awesome deal. I'm getting quotes from between $1100 for the basic TB/WP job to $2100

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008...L65&keywords=aisin+timing+belt+kit+4.7+toyota

Here is the kit I found on Amazon. I also got a new thermostat and o-ring.
Yourmechanic will quote you around $860 for the labor and parts. There is a drop down you need to click "I have my own parts" then it will quote you labor only. Again, it was $360 in Orlando.

I'm somewhat of a noob here but not a noob to cars or car trading. Rust means it hasn't been in Texas long. As for the price it looks like a fair deal. If they wanted more they could easily clean it up a bit. That carpet needs some serious attention. When you see a car listed and they don't even take the time to pick the crap up off the floor, vacuum it out, REMOVE the kid seat so it doesn't scream "I'VE BEEN PUKED IN!" then you know the kind of seller you're dealing with. No way it's been maintained well. Just expect that. The price reflects it IMO. The color is awesome and the wheels are a plus.

I'm somewhat of a noob here but not a noob to cars or car trading. Rust means it hasn't been in Texas long. As for the price it looks like a fair deal. If they wanted more they could easily clean it up a bit. That carpet needs some serious attention. When you see a car listed and they don't even take the time to pick the crap up off the floor, vacuum it out, REMOVE the kid seat so it doesn't scream "I'VE BEEN PUKED IN!" then you know the kind of seller you're dealing with. No way it's been maintained well. Just expect that. The price reflects it IMO. The color is awesome and the wheels are a plus.

I agree with what you say. I would prioritize baselining the vehicle since it is the who gives a crap (lets just price it low) kind of seller. The good news is that you could easily baseline and still be out the door for less than market price with fresh PM and tires. This is supposing everything checks out.

yes that is my concern seeing there is rust, cars in texas have no rust. Also worried that the fluids were not changed regularly and the engine could be in poor health. Im not extremely experienced working with cars but I am not afraid to watch tutorials and do most of the work myself to save some money. The carpet for example I can definitely pull it all out shampoo it and pressure wash it/dye to make it look clean.

I agree with what you say. I would prioritize baselining the vehicle since it is the who gives a crap (lets just price it low) kind of seller. The good news is that you could easily baseline and still be out the door for less than market price with fresh PM and tires. This is supposing everything checks out.
thanks for your input bud. what do you mean by pm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom