I Fixed my 84 BJ60's 3B Starter with Money (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Blue truck (1984 bj60, 12v with 3b, 460k km) was seeing intermittent start. Fix was to bang on starter with a pipe but this became less reliable within a month.

Wife needs truck for some hauling and wants it now. Reading on here there's all sorts of solutions and by crossing my fingers I determine "its probably just contacts." Luckily I was under time pressure so drove it to Romaine Electric and explained my wife was in a hurry. They called back in the afternoon with bad news: burns on internal wiring, one of the brush holders was cracked off and everything inside was filthy. Armature was still good. Said it needed more than the quick and dirty so I authorized them to do what they thought it needed.

Picked up next day and damage with tax was $220. Paint is still tacky.

Just installed and wow it turns over quick. Before *if* it turned it was at 1.5hz, now its like 5hz. I kept trying to fix the slow turnover by looking for a bad contact but I guess that wasn't it. Now the thing starts like a corolla.

Sorry no internal pics but before and after from the outside:

StarterRebuild_20-01-04_01-20-57.jpg

StarterRebuild_20-01-04_01-21-05.jpg

StarterRebuild_20-01-08_01-26-38.jpg

StarterRebuild_20-01-08_01-26-50.jpg

Nice looking rebuild! Looks like they must have bead blasted the housing and hot tanked the internals? It makes me happy to see work that someone took pride in!

Nice looking rebuild! Looks like they must have bead blasted the housing and hot tanked the internals? It makes me happy to see work that someone took pride in!

Yeah I believe they do a good job. Big shop floor full of tables and tools. They did my alternator(s) after another shop couldn’t make any progress in 2 weeks. Guy said the bj60 alternator is one of the rarest but the weirdest stuff they see are off the ancient motors in armored cars- everything must be stock in order to keep the insurance bond. I love visiting because it’s so rare to see this sort of work done these days.

I sure wish the rest of my truck’s parts looked so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom