I finally started my tear down on my 1/1979 FJ40.

Visit site
I finally got started on my 1/1979 FJ40. Got the spare, carrier and ambulance doors off. Man there’s a lot of rust. I think I’m just going to take it slow, one rust problem at a time. I’m afraid if I have it sandblasted, it will fall apart. Not much holding it together I don’t think.

92046D5B-61F3-4FE3-AB11-AC26CCB41752.jpeg

E920CCCE-506C-40E8-8245-5B33BF201310.jpeg

18BCE583-280D-4289-8154-46D20866DE93.jpeg

A2949623-B91A-4591-BFBF-31A19A45EB33.jpeg

E5BD1FBD-9555-4BEA-B449-0951C6478B29.jpeg

Visit site
If you want to drive it soon , a new 3/4 tub , alu or steel will take less time then cutting and welding all that rust and bondo
I might be doing that. People seem to like Aqualu tubs. I contacted Mike Gozzard, but it’s just a sideline for him and might take a long time to get a FG tub. Plus the Aqualu seem to be well proven. I think if my A pillars are okay, that would work.

jim land

SILVER Star
Visit site
Gozzard are very good but it is more work than a 3/4 tub because most of the wiring is in the dash area and also the heater , steering , pedals , switchs and more things you dont need to swap with a 3/4 tub

Visit site
Gozzard are very good but it is more work than a 3/4 tub because most of the wiring is in the dash area and also the heater , steering , pedals , switchs and more things you dont need to swap with a 3/4 tub
Very good point. I wonder if anybody has ever experienced galvanic corrosion with an Aqualu tub?

Visit site
I picked up a used Aqualu tub a few years ago and got a great deal because the PO had not coated it properly and there was galvanic corrosion to the point that I decided to cut out part of the floor pans and weld in new aluminum pieces. I coated and prepared the tub properly and have had no issues at all since then.

Bottom line: if properly coated and installed, I doubt you will have any serious issues with corrosion if you go the Aqualu route.

Visit site
I picked up a used Aqualu tub a few years ago and got a great deal because the PO had not coated it properly and there was galvanic corrosion to the point that I decided to cut out part of the floor pans and weld in new aluminum pieces. I coated and prepared the tub properly and have had no issues at all since then.

Bottom line: if properly coated and installed, I doubt you will have any serious issues with corrosion if you go the Aqualu route.
That’s good to hear. I’m really leaning towards that. The driver’s side cowl/ firewall will need some patching but certainly doable. I would love to find a goos used one, the new ones delivered are a few coins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom