I feel like I am missing something... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was checking the valve cover after doing a gasket job to make sure there were no more leaks and then I noticed an unknown "inlet". It is in the center of the photo.

What is this "inlet"? Am I missing something that is supposed to be connected to this "inlet"?

Thanks for the help.
DSCN6173.jpg

it looks like its for your heater hose. I cant tell if its attached or not from the picture it kind of looks like its D/C'd.:hmm::confused:
Good luck!
Paul

it looks like its for your heater hose. I cant tell if its attached or not from the picture it kind of looks like its D/C'd.:hmm::confused:
Good luck!
Paul

If it is for a heater hose, where should the other end of the hose connect? Every hose in the area seems to have an origination and termination point.

it should connect to heater control valve on the left. Actually that rubber heater hose which goes above one in question should connect there. I wonder if it was concocted to bypass PHH. or is the rubber one not connected?

If it is for a heater hose, where should the other end of the hose connect? Every hose in the area seems to have an origination and termination point.

Where does the hose go to on yours? It looks like it continues down past your intake manifold below all that vacuum stuff. mine goes on the outlet/inlet(whichever it is)that is exposed in the photo. It could be like Alex says and it could bypass the PHH. wish I could be more help. I will go look at mine and see if I can figure it out.
Paul

it should connect to heater control valve on the left. Actually that rubber heater hose which goes above one in question should connect there. I wonder if it was concocted to bypass PHH. or is the rubber one not connected?

That's my bet. Rubber hose runs from the valve in the center of the photo bypassing the steel pipe and PHH and connecting into the side of the block where previously the PHH connected. Does that make sense?

What about the metal inlet itself? Where's the other end of that? Like Alex Kogan and fj80toyman say, maybe it's been bypassed.

Whatever it is/was I wouldn't just leave it open. Cap it with something.

What about the metal inlet itself? Where's the other end of that? Like Alex Kogan and fj80toyman say, maybe it's been bypassed.

As soon as I get a chance, I will investigate the other end of the metal inlet.

That's my bet. Rubber hose runs from the valve in the center of the photo bypassing the steel pipe and PHH and connecting into the side of the block where previously the PHH connected. Does that make sense?

Is this a common practice, to bypass the PHH?

Ok, it has taken me a few days to get back under the hood and here is what I have found. The first pic is looking down into the open "inlet" and the second pic is of the hose "bypassing" the PHH and being connected directly to the block.

Now, is that a common practice to bypass the PHH? Are there any downsides to bypassing the PHH?
DSCN6188.jpg
DSCN6190.jpg

Now, is that a common practice to bypass the PHH? Are there any downsides to bypassing the PHH?

Yes and No.

You should unbolt the metal pipe/hose and toss it, or find another use for it. Looks like it is not connected to the head. I ditched mine when I did my HG and loving it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

"You should unbolt the metal pipe/hose and toss it"

What is/was the purpose of the metal pipe?

Why don't more people bypass the PHH, so that they never have to play with the PHH again?

Technically, the PHH has not been bypassed. Instead of a 3" hose, your PHH is now a 24" hose. The thing that was bypassed was a metal pipe.

Don't worry too much about that pipe or the bypass hose. You have a bigger problem with the main engine wiring harness and the lack of proper insulation at the EGR.

-B-

That insulation is 12 years old and we have had many (not just a few) problems with the main engine wiring harness where it passes by the EGR valve. You should get some good thermal tape or other good heat insulation material and protect that area.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom