I drove through a deep puddle. Should I be worried? (video link attached) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rvk

Threads
I feel like an idiot for getting myself into a puddle this deep. The truck is stock, except for over sized tires. I'm worried that though I don't have any issues now, I might in the future if I don't do some PM? Perhaps something with the differentials breathers? Or am I just over thinking it? And the truck can handle that type of mess? It was fresh water / mud. Water definitely entered the engine bay, obviously not for long though. Outside of Charleston, SC. Air filter is dry.

https://youtu.be/44u_NDBdxnY

Last edited:
I'd check or change diff fluids, tcase fluid and trans fluid if the breathers were under water.

Good reading here:

Reactions: rvk
Perhaps a little fast... but I’ve been through much deeper. Biggest concerns are pulling the fan blades into the radiator, sucking water into the intake and hydraulicing the engine, contaminating fluids with water (as mentioned ^), filling lights with water, and filling the distributor cap with water.

Since if still ran... you’re left with water where it shouldn’t be.

I honestly wouldn’t worry about it. If its gonna become a common thing, do the breather mods for your gearboxes and take those puddles a little slower next time...
Ps: save up for a alternator replacement... they dont like water

All good, IMO. I've done a few water crossings almost that deep and my wife's done a couple that were that deep. The only thing that came of it with my 99 was an eventual failed alternator. Both failures of the alternator came a few months after the water crossing.

I'd just read up on alternator failure signs and be sure to check your voltage gauge on the regular. You'll probably be fine.

I don't think the water reached the diff breather levels. Front diff, transfer case breathers are located at about power steering pump level and the rear breather is mounted to the cross member above the axle. You drove fast and didn't sat in water so for that 1 second of water if touch the breather is not going to make its way to the diff.

If you worry, keep the hood open to circulate air to dry faster or move to West TX where anything damp (except cloths) dries in less than 7 minutes!

Reactions: rvk
You're fine, you could Change diff fluid and transfer case fluid within the next couple thousand miles if you want to be extra safe, but like others said i don't think it reached any of the breathers except maybe the rear.

I went in water that deep and got water in my headlights so if you didn't even get that and it still runs with no electrical gremlins I'd say you're good.

All good, IMO. I've done a few water crossings almost that deep and my wife's done a couple that were that deep. The only thing that came of it with my 99 was an eventual failed alternator. Both failures of the alternator came a few months after the water crossing.

I'd just read up on alternator failure signs and be sure to check your voltage gauge on the regular. You'll probably be fine.

Yeah, alternator is a dandy spot isn't it? Right down there where water, road grime and salt, dirt, mud, etc.....is SURE to get in it.

Then they put the starter up under intake, go figure.

alt debris.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I'll change diff / transfer case fluid to play it safe.
Water did enter the running / high beam light, I took the cap off and it dried out over night.
I'm currently on my second reman alternator within 30k miles, hopefully this one isn't crap now, RIP.
Y'all have made me feel better about the "incident".
Fingers crossed that my alternator is OK.

Last edited:
Yeah, alternator is a dandy spot isn't it? Right down there where water, road grime and salt, dirt, mud, etc.....is SURE to get in it.

Then they put the starter up under intake, go figure.

Ya not ideal but the UZ series was never designed as a truck motor. As I understand it Toyota reverse engineered it from a BMW motor that was meant for cars.

No distributor cap for most of the 100 series in USA.

wouldn’t know... never owned a 100. Water poses the same risks for all our cruisers. #1 being it won’t compress and can total an engine in a hurry.

incident is getting high centered in a mud pit and having to walk out on your hood to toss a tow strap out. change the axle and t-case fluid whenever you get the oil changed and dont worry too much about it. the truck wasnt sitting in the watter for an extended period of time, not salt water, engine ran the whole time and im going to guess no water in the passenger compartment so not much to worry about

What are the options so that you don't have to worry about the alternator that much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom