I don't understand what the previous owner has done with the fuel filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone !

I love my my rust free (not easy to find in Panama) HZJ80 from 1992, but I am quite an amateur when it comes to Mechanic and I am trying to understand why I have some black smoke above 3000rpm. I need help on this one. I bought a fuel filter that came with a hole on the upper side to plug it, but also holes and the bottom side :
Fuel-Filter-1HDT-2__81028.png

And the one on my LC :
20230628_163852.jpg

It is also much smaller. I am wondering if it is a problem, like the flow of liquid passing through it not high enough,. Should i buy the same one ? Are there bigger compatible filters ? Or should I put the system back (I don't see the cables for it, but there's an empty connection not far away)). and use the original filter ?
Thanks in advance

So this question is best asked in the diesel section here.
No idea what you bought, but what I see in the engine bay looks factory. Perhaps it's just the wrong filter?
But the diesel section can answer this most accurately.

Oh sorry I am new here. Can I delete this thread ?
no worries

the filter you bought has no provision for sediment/moisture sensor.

be right back with a number for the correct one

apologies for my initial post, my head isn't working correctly

part number for the sediment/moisture float is

84461-60050

Last edited:
I agree with above.

Replace the float switch, and while you're on partsouq, order a clamp for that fuel hose coming out of the filter housing.
Really common for these to suck air in through poorly clamped or poor condition hoses and cause a misfire

Screenshot_20230716_110049_Brave.jpg

I agree with above.

Replace the float switch, and while you're on partsouq, order a clamp for that fuel hose coming out of the filter housing.
Really common for these to suck air in through poorly clamped or poor condition hoses and cause a misfire

View attachment 3374399
Thanks appreciated ! As There's a lot of work to do on my truck I should also get more parts to save on shipping

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom