I didn't think this would happen at 6mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From the NHTSA web site:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbag/AAPFR/econ/Chapter5.html

Current air bag systems use the output from the crash severity sensors to determine when to deploy and when not to deploy the air bag. Most systems are set to have a no-fire zone at 8 mph or less and to have an all-fire zone with a change in velocity (delta V) of 15 mph or more. This decision speed is called a threshold. Some manufacturers currently are using different thresholds for unbelted and belted occupants. A higher threshold is used for belted occupants (all fire at 18 mph or higher), since belted occupants are at a lower risk of injury.

6 mph sounds low, but if they were unbelted and lexus is running a localized, low impact sensor, then maybe...
The price we pay for mandating that the automakers make us safe.

What makes you accept the dealer's statement that the low-speed parking lot collision with a light pole actually was
1) low-speed and
2) occurred in a parking lot, and
3) was with a light pole?

"Honest, officer, I was only going six miles per hour" sounds a whole lot better than "I have no idea how fast I was going, but the air bags deployed!"

LT
8)

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. But, we had a case here in Utah of a child that was killed in a Camaro when it's front bumper struck a concrete parking stop and the airbag deployed. The car was pulling in to park when it happened, so prolly no more than 3-4mph.

I've tagged the front bumper on my 80 (ARB) going about 10mph, thought for sure they'd fire from how hard the impact felt, but they didn't. I asked the Toy tech in our club about it. He'd mentioned that they were having trouble in Corollas and Camrys with the airbags. There were instances where one would rear-end a truck and would submarine under the back of the truck. Just that decceleration was enough to not trip the airbags.

Crappy cars use crappy stuff. The Camaro may use an older slower cheaper sensor, along with mediocre wiring and connectors and a software system that's not good at evaluating different impacts. Toyotas and Lexus use quality sensors, redundant sensors that can compare notes when a collision event occurs, and gold plated connectors that won't corrode and change resistance. The Camaro's system should not have gone off as there should have been a sensor somewhere in the center of the vehicle (usually center console area) that did not sense the hit when the bumper got tapped and veto'd the deployment. Just another dollar thing. Of course every system can have a problem, but the Japanese and Europeans tend to be much more conservative in spec'ing the systems that have to do with safety.

I would also doubt the dealer's "6mph" comments as accurate.

DougM

Pimp i work for lexus , that is one big fish tail 6 mph cannot set off the bags espcally not bolth
unless the pole was traveling at 10 mph
i see alot of LC collision cars in 18 yrs and 100% of the time the owner is mistaken about the speed and severity of the collision
Evan

having been staring at wrecked cars for a living for 3+ years now I can say wiht some certainty that was closer to 20 mph impact. I certainly hope none of you are considering this rig.
Dave

if they know for a fact they were doing exactly 6 miles per hour then they should probably pull there head up and look at the damn road to watch for light poles, I have had a couple of small collisions (15 miles per hour or less)while driving Toyota vehicles equiped with air bags, and I can tell ya from experiance it takes a pretty good jolt to trigger them, and the last thing you will know is exactly how fast you were going (6.0 miles per hour) when that airbag explodes in your face. My guess would also be a higher speed wreck. Some of the newer airbag systems can actual tell you using computers how fast the vehicle was going when the airbag deployed, and yes I have also read many articles on why and when the airbags will deploy, i.e. seat postion, speed, seat belts etc!

Thanks for the info guys, I was pretty sure it didn't go off anyplace close to 6mph, but if thats all that happened at 20mph..........thats not alot of damage(from the looks) And NO I am not looking at it..........me knows better....I am waiting for my 16k 2003 UZJ to show up from Italy........ :flipoff2:

let us know how your "business trip" went theere pimp meister. the reason I warned against it isnt just the fact that the seller is clueless but chances are this was not a pole but a ditch and there is probably undercarriage damage wich tripped the sensors. I have only seen two toyota air bag deplayments in my tiem and both were needed to save the occupants lives. have seen no light impact deplymnets form any toyota product.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom