I did the wiper mod and 4 seasons heater motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a hellacious monsoon drive while picking up the truck, I realized 1987 tech was outdated as far as visibility and safety went. I had to upgrade the wipers to put modern ones in. Thanks to this site for the tips.

What I did was the same as everyone else, 2x 3rd gen 4 runner/surf Driver side wiper arms (I have a RHD which is why I specify DRIVER SIDE) and the caps. Reused the original nuts. I was unable to find info on the blade size to fit this new mod, so I experimented a bit. I put a 17" on the Pass side and 18" on the Driver's. Both are beam silicone blades.
20220907_083925.jpg

You can see the difference. Both could probably fit 19" blades. As sits now, Driver side with 18" blade has 1.5 cm (you do the math, im lazy and only have metric rulers here) til the rubber window surround and the passenger side has 6.5 cm clearance with the 17" blade.
20220907_083902.jpg

20220907_083911.jpg

So there it is, in case anyone else was curious.

Also put in a new 4 seasons blower motor. Perfect fit, easy install. Reused the mounting bolts, rubber gasket, and the fan itself, as they aren't contained in the box. Can't tell you whether it's quieter or louder because the OEM was full of rust and mud and didn't work when I got it. Maybe if I get a wild hair up there I'll really hunt new bushings and springs, since that's what seems to be the problem (already opened, cleaned and refurbished the motor, but can't find bushings and springs to fit) and compare side by side OEM to 4 seasons. The 4 seasons works perfectly. Here's the 4 seasons part number for the 60 series, 35184.
20220907_085355.jpg

Sorry but for what? Does he refurbish them?
I'm trying to figure out an effective and feasible method of refurbishment and potential upgrade to OEM motors, as they're much higher quality than any aftermarket replacements currently being made. But I need to collect a handful of motors to experiment with in order to do it.

Oh, sorry I see you're in NZ ... prolly not practical and prolly a 24v too.

I'm trying to figure out an effective and feasible method of refurbishment and potential upgrade to OEM motors, as they're much higher quality than any aftermarket replacements currently being made. But I need to collect a handful of motors to experiment with in order to do it.

I'm assuming you're in the US. Shipping would be astronomical but when I come back and import my truck maybe I'll be able to help out. I'm not throwing away anything when I remove/replace, just in case someone like yourself learns how to resurrect old junk to new treasure.

Hopefully by then though you'll be done experimenting and I'll be a paying customer!

I'm assuming you're in the US. Shipping would be astronomical but when I come back and import my truck maybe I'll be able to help out. I'm not throwing away anything when I remove/replace, just in case someone like yourself learns how to resurrect old junk to new treasure.

Hopefully by then though you'll be done experimenting and I'll be a paying customer!
Oh yeah, it would be a nightmare. I haven't looked at a 24V motor yet but I would imagine that it wouldn't be compatible with a 12V system.

post 603 and on is what i did. maybe it’ll help your thought process

this won’t help with the motor upgrade necessarily but i think the common failure point is often brushes hence my post

Last edited:

post 603 and on is what i did. maybe it’ll help your thought process

this won’t help with the motor upgrade necessarily but i think the common failure point is often brushes hence my post
Dude that is awesome thank you. I couldn't find the brushes anywhere except one place which was selling them for $99, which for that price is the reason I bought the 4seasons replacement.

My 'inspiration' for refurbishing it was a single YouTube video I could find with a kiwi guy that had a stripper (I assume) helping him refurb a older 70 series blower motor. To be fair, they did a decent job of it to convince me it was easy enough to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom