I called a FB marketplace bluff. FINALLY GOT PROVEN WRONG! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dingoboyexplore

SILVER Star
Threads
Never did I think this was going to happen....

Selling cruiser parts on marketplace is honestly terrible, under most circumstances. We all know this. Had a gentlemen reach out about some wheels asking if they would fit his 70 series. Without being able to test fit them, I told him I could not answer that 100%....truly didnt believe him and didnt want to be a wiener. Looking online it appears they would...weird. Thought these were 6 lug, never owned one though so really do not know. I was not trying to ship the wheels....seems that never works out good for me. He said he would come by to test fit them...wellllllllll OK. THERE IS NO WAY!!! So I was thinking

Called the bluff, he asked for my direct address, kind of a red flag for me. However, for cruiser parts I do it. For a 70 series, I WILL DO IT

Had another guy show up before him to test fit them onto his International Scout with no luck even though everything said it would fit. Cool, great, actually. I reached back out to what we will call the 70man. He said he was 20min out. Honestly, did not know what to expect. Ive had a weird string of ALOT of cool things coming across my driveway the last couple months...wonder what my neighbors think. THIS was the coolest.

Out of respect for the owner and due to his wishes. I did not take any engine bay photos or rear photos. Also no video. I respected that and basked in the situation I was faced with. Happier than a pig in sh*t. This was a 2022 Model. Turbo V8 Diesel, manual, one step above poverty pack.
As I was drooling over this and talking to the owner, he could sense how excited I was. He turns and asks " Do you want to drive it"? IF I could have jumped out of my skin, I would have. NEVER did I think I would be driving a 70 series in America, let alone a brand new one with 4xxx miles on it....LEAVING MY FREAKING DRIVEWAY. He asked where the closest diesel station was as he wanted to top off and said I could drive there.

Needless to say, I passed some stations and SOME HOW ended a few towns over....weird. The owner and his son were smiling ear to ear as I happily drove by gas station after gas station. Wanted to share with all my cruiser buddies as well.

I do not know how he got it here. Do not know anything about it other than it is a 2022 with 4xxx miles and its amazing and everything I ever wanted and more. NO DPF garbage as well. I wish I had something to compare to...but as you can see in the back. A Prius, LX570, & a rowdy RS3. LOL. Onee funny thing I did notice in the interior. The door handles/surrounds are out of a first gen tacoma heheh

342791652_774490417721884_271967787249591034_n.jpg

342717121_910640196871603_2691014638083364888_n.jpg

342693828_612410490544331_4850122869273977046_n.jpg

342706985_182438384728659_7210440068736594967_n.jpg

Last edited:
That's a wild side graphic. It might indicate where this one came from. Did the wheels fit?
They did! He was happy, I was happy. Now I know these newer 70s are 5x150.

crafty bastards!
nice

<------- My actual face right now.

What a cool story, I honestly would have a hard time believing it without pictures!

Thanks for sharing!

The door handles/surrounds are out of a first gen tacoma heheh

Wouldn't be surprised if the registration comes back as a Tacoma too. Most of these less than 25 year old cruisers are on a "borrowed" VIN for registration and insurance purposes it seems like. Sucks for those of us that do things the legal way.

Such a sweet rig! Would be cool to see it in person. How did that V8 TD drive?

Man lots of illegal here unless they are foreign diplomats or have a temp pass for testing/upfitting.

Debbie downer here, but man I wouldn’t want to drive that thing unless they could prove that insurance and everything is legit. Imagine the disaster of insurance and getting in a wreck…litigation city.

Debbie downer here, but man I wouldn’t want to drive that thing unless they could prove that insurance and everything is legit. Imagine the disaster of insurance and getting in a wreck…litigation city.

Yeah, it is too much liability for me. Wasn't trying to be a debbie downer myself but just stating the facts. Sucks for them if and when they hit a car. Also would suck if they get hit by car and they are not at fault.

Honestly, it really doesn't make sense because it isn't like our 25+ year older rigs are any safer but it is what it is........

Yeah, it is too much liability for me. Wasn't trying to be a debbie downer myself but just stating the facts. Sucks for them if and when they hit a car. Also would suck if they get hit by car and they are not at fault.

Honestly, it really doesn't make sense because it isn't like our 25+ year older rigs are any safer but it is what it is........
Agreed. Not like many 25 year cars are safer than a new 70 series.

Most states don’t have annual inspections so any POS can be on the road. There arrest some seriously unsafe cars here in Colorado and we don’t have a rust problem.

It’s dumb…

It was considerate of
I do not know how he got it here. ..
It was tactful of you to not ask. Doubtful I could resist, after taking it for a spin. :) He's probably not a MUD member, right? One downside of owning something like that, one wouldn't want to share with a large audience. (As you have) :D

Such a sweet rig! Would be cool to see it in person. How did that V8 TD drive?

Man lots of illegal here unless they are foreign diplomats or have a temp pass for testing/upfitting.

Agreed.

Not sure how this was done, but with my constitution, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it for the constant worry I would have. Also I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I had to lie through my teeth and be dishonest to get what I wanted.

But... also not wanting to besmirch someone I have never met, I would reserve judgement until we knew the whole story. Wasn't there a new 70 like this for sale from a movie set or some such a little while ago? I wonder if this is it? Still not sure how he would get it registered and insured.

I might be willing to pay a fee to just sit inside of it and smell it. lol

Agreed.

Not sure how this was done, but with my constitution, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it for the constant worry I would have. Also I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I had to lie through my teeth and be dishonest to get what I wanted.

But... also not wanting to besmirch someone I have never met, I would reserve judgement until we knew the whole story. Wasn't there a new 70 like this for sale from a movie set or some such a little while ago? I wonder if this is it? Still not sure how he would get it registered and insured.

I might be willing to pay a fee to just sit inside of it and smell it. lol
Fully agree.

Pretty sure that "movie" 70-series was a double cab 79. They wanted $145k USD for it, too. :oops: Some states would be easier to register a vehicle like that than others; I know of several newer 70-series registered here in the US (have seen a couple personally), but it is definitely not something I would want to attempt.

It was considerate of

It was tactful of you to not ask. Doubtful I could resist, after taking it for a spin. :) He's probably not a MUD member, right? One downside of owning something like that, one wouldn't want to share with a large audience. (As you have) :D
he is not a mud member, didnt know what the forum was. aside from what I could share here. I am starting to understand why people might not share these, even if they have them. Hopefully people can just appreciate the story, the photos, and move along....without trying to prove this or that and get this guy ****ed. Didnt really think that through on my end when posting.

Last edited:
I do not know how he got it here. Do not know anything about it

There are several fully legal ways someone might have such a car in the U.S., at least temporarily. Without knowing more, I say we give the guy the benefit of the doubt. No harm, no foul, and we get to see a cool car.

Hello,

No DPF and side strips suggest Middle East Specification. A very gray import from that market, I presume.

I am a little confused. Were your wheels five- or six-lug?

Details aside, I bet it was a cool experience. Thank you for sharing.

Juan

Hello,

No DPF and side strips suggest Middle East Specification. A very gray import from that market, I presume.

I am a little confused. Were your wheels five- or six-lug?

Details aside, I bet it was a cool experience. Thank you for sharing.

Juan
They were actually a set or Pro Comp Classics in a 16" 5x150. The hubs still had the plastic from the factory on them. Atleast The front passenger side did. I joked about peeling it....deep down inside i really wanted to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom