I bought the wrong winch mounting plate - now I need help/ideas on how to resolve it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been planning on installing the new winch behind the standard LC bumper, so I need a winch mounting plate that's at least 30 inches long to bolt it to the frame.

Well, I've screwed up... I didn't check the winch mounting plate carefully assuming that a 'universal' mount would be universal enough for me... turns out it's about 7 inches short.

So now I have a choice, I can either return it - and pay shipping and wait another 2 weeks, or get another piece of metal and mount that to the Frame and bolt this channel mount to it.

Will it work or is that too hokey?!

Last edited:
It doesn't say how long it is, but it's listed as fitting an FJ40, so should work for your 80.
http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-channel-winch-mount-90476.html
I'm pretty sure several folks have done just the install you want with this plate in writeups here on MUD.

I wonder if you bought a mount for an ATV? That's the only reason I can think that it could be so short.

Given the stress that a winch could apply, I would return and do it right. Just IMHO.

X2 you don't wanna risk it.

I'm sure they will take Ito back, but they did list the dimensions before you bought it..

keep it and mount the winch it on the 'cedeez :hillbilly:

The one for a jeep wrangler will work if you drill holes to fit the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom