I bought a plane today.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by sisukid1975, Jul 15, 2005.

1. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

In honor of my excitement over the new Boeing Dreamliner, today I sent off for a plane that was just as historically significant, but slightly more simple and affordable.

A model Piper J-3 Cub. It's quarter scale and has got about an 8 foot wingspan, and mine will be built on floats so I can fly it from the river here in town.

I'ts been 16 years since I built or flew an R/C plane, and I'm looking forward to getting back into it. I'm also thinking of maybe getting a real full-size kit plane, like a replica Cub one of these days.

I'll wait to get a full size kit plane till the Cruiser is done, and I decide what to do about my career choice first, whether or not I will be applying to the Police Academy or something...

Fred

P.S.: THe picture attached is of the actual model. Like I said, mine will have pontoons instead of wheels though.

2. tabraha

tabraha Hello My Name is: TAD SILVER Star

That sounds like a fun purchase!!!

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    How about a Super Cub with Alaska mods?

4. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

That would be sweet. I had a hard time deciding on a regular cub or a clipped wing cub which are faster and better for aerobatics. I went with a regular one for now since I' haven't flown in like 16 years, I figured the stability would be a good thing.

I'd love to have a real Cub one day, but will most likely have to settle for a replica kit plane like one of these

Like I said, I need to iron out my plans (like if I'm gonna change careers or not) and get the cruiser finished first. Then a kit plane is on my short list of things to acquire.

Fred

5. firetruck41

firetruck41

Thats a big RC plane! I'll bet I could fit in the cockpit with a little bit of contortion :D

6. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

By the way, for those of you who are into this hobby, or might want to get into it, I have one rant:

What is it with all the RC planes these days coming fully assembled? Take it out of the box, gas it up and go? WTF?

When I was a kid, we had to spend 50-100 hours painstakingly building them before we could fly them. And my grandfather said I had it easy cause all 800 pieces of wood were pre cut for me. When he started with the whole RC thing back in the 50s, you had to cut your own wood from blueprints! He thought buying blueprints from a catalog was cheating, too. Back in those days, you desgined the damn things yourself, too. Now they all cost $400+ and come out of the box ready to go.

No wonder kids these days don't know anything about anything... Even hobbies are less about the hobby, and more about the instant gratification. When you walk into a hobby store and ask for a kit and they say "What? You want to build it yourself? Are you crazy? Well, OK, I *THINK* I can order one unassembled..."

Rant over.

Fred

7. calamaridog

calamaridog

Very interesting. What sort of rules are there for flying those things? My cat needs a one way ride real bad!

8. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

...and had to build them in an unheated log cabin...in the winter, without shoes, uphill...both ways...

:rolleyes:

:D :flipoff2: :D

Who's got that much free time these days? 50 to 100 hours just to build the thing? Wouldn't it be easier if I spent that time wheeling while some kid in an indonesian sweatshop made a dollar for the week he spent building it for me?

Most people just want to fly the thing...but I do see your point.

They should have different kits ranging from:
    1) fully assembled, ready to fly
    2) pre-cut pieces, assembly requiring 50 to 100 hours commitment
    3) uncut wood suitable for cutting and shaping into pieces for assembly; be sure to set aside 200 to 300 hours
    4) a tree.

Looks like you'll be getting a cool plane though.

Will your floats have embedded wheels so you can take off on land as well as water or will you need to fly near a lake or large very swimming pool?

9. cruzer

cruzer

Half the fun is building the thing....though i never got to fly cause i never finished one.....where can you get a pre assembled one again?

10. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

I learned to fly in my dads airplane. Much like that one. Good on you. Have fun all the way around. As a side note, many places that used to be RC friendly now have signs against the noise and no flying permitted. Checkout your area for such things.

11. ajfriz

ajfriz

i learned to fly in my dad's L4B (Army version on the J3). it was a blast, but a super cub is way better.

12. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

Very true. I never had a plane, but when I was younger I had an rc glider with like a six foot wingspan. It was really fun, but I had to do major surgery after every time I flew it. I never did once get a clean landing. Ever see someone crash an R/C helicopter? Talk about seeing money go down the toilet. A buddy of mine crashed his when we were like 18 and I thought he was going to cry. I think he had like 2 grand into the thing or something ridiculous like that.

13. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

Well I agree, but this is way better than that.

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

Or maybe this:

[​IMG]

14. Matador98

Matador98

Media:
    Albums:

I hear ya. I feel the same way. It builds character to build them, and problem solve.

Actually, that is what I do at work. Four buddies and I started a company out of college to build and test flight models of whatever configuration we are tasked to build. Our latest project is this:

http://www.aerocopter.com/configurations.html#config3

It'll be about 12-14 feet in diameter, and is going to be electrically powered. We're using lithium polymer cells hooked up to ducted fans (from Germany) which are going to be out on the wingtips. Pretty insane, but is should be fun building this bad boy from scratch!

15. ajfriz

ajfriz

16. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

Flying him over to Ty's place? :frown:

17. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

The local RC Club has a private RC field out by the dump. :) I guess if you crash it, you don't have far to go to recycle the balsa wood.

Fred

18. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

19. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

None, really.

But, in order to find a RC Friendly field you usually need to join a club, most of whom own or lease land for a private RC Landing strip. In order to join those clubs you usually need to be a member of the AMA, who gives you a monthly magazine and an insurance policy in case your plane crashes and damages something or someone. The AMA has rules they expect you to follow as a member. Putting live animals in an RC plane is a big no-no according to their rules. :)

For whoever asked where you can get them ready-to-fly: Those kits are called ARF, for almost ready to fly. Usually there is a couple hours you need to take to unpack everything, maybe screw the landing gear or propeller on, etc.

You can find these kits at almost any hobby shop. For like $400, you can get a complete turn key trainer plane-- you get a fully assembled plane, engine, radio, battery, battery charger, glow plug heater, maybe even a chicken stick (what you use to start it. It's called that cause if you use one it means you're too chicken to spin the prop with your finger) or an electric starter.

All you'd need to buy is a bottle of fuel, and find someone to teach you to fly.

I don't endorse ARFs. Maybe that's cause I pride myself on doing things myself. I didn't buy a restored cruiser from CCOT, I bought an old s***ty one and am doing it all myself. I guess it's a pride or ego thing.

I dunno, I guess it's the way I was raised to work to acheive something so you really appreciate it. Maybe I have a bad view of kids these days, but I see so many of them who want, want, want and want some more, and parents who are far too willing to indulge them, and the kids have no respect for anything they have. Like the local 16 year old idiots whose parents buy them brand new cars and they tear ass around town like maniacs, abusing the cars, breaking them, all cause they have no appreciation of where it came from. My dad bought me an old s***box car when I turned 16, not cause he couldn't afford a new one, but because he wanted me to earn nicer things. I had to fix it up and make it nice myself. I babied that thing like you wouldn't believe, cause I worked my ass off to make it as nice as it was.

But to each his own.

Fred

20. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

Makes me want to get back into RC Planes (as if I have the time).... I had a couple 10-12 years ago, and really got into them... but as soon as I got a Cruiser, the flame died...

When I was in Indiana last week for the UROC Rockcrawl, we had a chance to head down to the AMA Museum in Muncie (I think??)... Wow, was that cool. We went out on the airfield and checked out hundred of enthusists out flying their control lines, pylon racers, helicopters, etc... Cool!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.