I bought a diesel engine, help me test start it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought an Isuzu 4BD1T for my 80 series on ebay and am going to pick it up and pay for it Saturday. The motor is complete, however it has been removed from the truck. I want to know what it will take to start it up on the garage floor. Do I just need a can of diesel, some fuel line, and jumper cables? He claims its a strong runner and has ran recently.

Not necessarily.

If you don't run it for long you don't need a cooling system. And lots of engines have been run in just a wooden cradle (that's how I did with the 3B) or something less formal than that. The key is making sure it won't fall over somehow. Whatever you feel comfortable with there...

You need fuel.
You need jumper cables and some jumper wires to close the starter contactor and other miscellaneous stuff.
You also need to turn the engine "on."

I don't know enough about the Isuzu engine to tell you what you need to do to turn it "on." It's probably just a fuel cutoff solenoid (look on the IP for a lead), but it could be more complicated like Toyota's EDIC system.

Good luck, it's pretty cool to see an engine run without any vehicle or wiring harness.

Dan

the isuzu parts are so cheap(compared to other diesels) that as long as it is complete and has good oil pressure(cant regrind the nitrided cranks, so low oil pressure might mean a bad crank/bearings) you should be fine.

For a cooling system you can get a bicycle tube ,cut it and join each end to the outlets.Mountain bike tube is best

I made a up a switch board with 3 switches.
One for the fuel solenoid
One for starting
One for running.

I made a frame for the engine from scrap timber.

In a Mexican boat yard I saw a Volvo Penta started while it was hanging from a palm tree.

For a cooling system you can get a bicycle tube ,cut it and join each end to the outlets.Mountain bike tube is best

I hate you so much right now Rosco. Why didn't I think of that? The bicycle tube is a BRILLIANT way to let coolant circulate, or at least fill the motor with water to test run it.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom