I am very p_s_s_d off right now!

Zack1978

SILVER Star

Hey guys,
Yesterday I tuned up the 1979 Plow truck, w the 20R motor. The entire truck only has 37,000 miles on it. The truck ran fine before the tune-up, but the last time it was done was 1986, so I figured it was time. I did wires, cap, rotor, air filter, gas filter, plugs, and pcv valve. I used all orig Toyota Parts. After the tune up it was also running fine. Well Today I started it and it seemed fine, but when you rev the engine, it smokes w/ blue/white smoke. What the hell went wrong? It never did this before. Two things that happened, I got the plug wires from Toyota, and the plug wires are perfect, however the coil wire is a bit short, so I had to use the old coil wire. Also the PCV valve that I got from Toyota was a bit larger than the old one in the truck, so I swapped the orig back in and it is still smoking. What did I do wrong? It was fine till I touched it.

Zack

Zack1978

SILVER Star

Do you think that having possibly the wrong PCV valve in the truck for about 15-20 miles could have caused this issue? I say the wrong one, because the one that was (is) in there was smaller than the new one that I got. And the old one was an orig Toyota part. I put the old one back in, buit did not drive it with the old one. I feel like an idiot, because the truck was perfect, and now when you rev it up, it blows blue/white smoke!

Dumbass,
Zack

Zack1978

SILVER Star

No , smoke only when you rev the engine, I guess when it's warm. No smoke on start up, or idle. Only when you rev the engine!

Zack

brian

SILVER Star

smoke on the rev up, or when it's returning to idle?

how much smoke? like smoke screen smoke, or just puffs.

Zack1978

SILVER Star

The smoke screen is when the truck is being reved at high rpm's. When you let off the gas, the smoke stops. It is so strange because yesterday after the tune up was done, I was reving it and there was no smoke at all. Now I let it sit for one night, and I rev it the smoke started.

The truck was not run often at all. In fact it sat for months at a time, as it was the plow truck at the church. It is a 79 and it only has 37,000 miles. Since 1986, only 13,000 miles were put on it. And in the last few years, it only had a few hundred miles put on it.

If in fact the valve seals are cracked, how hard are they to replace? Is it an expensive job? CAn I run the truck with the bad valve seals?

Is it just a weird twist of fate that this happened right after the tune-up, or do you think the tune-up had anything to do with it?

Thanks,
Zack

Zack1978 said:
The smoke screen is when the truck is being reved at high rpm's. When you let off the gas, the smoke stops. It is so strange because yesterday after the tune up was done, I was reving it and there was no smoke at all. Now I let it sit for one night, and I rev it the smoke started.

The truck was not run often at all. In fact it sat for months at a time, as it was the plow truck at the church. It is a 79 and it only has 37,000 miles. Since 1986, only 13,000 miles were put on it. And in the last few years, it only had a few hundred miles put on it.

If in fact the valve seals are cracked, how hard are they to replace? Is it an expensive job? CAn I run the truck with the bad valve seals?

Is it just a weird twist of fate that this happened right after the tune-up, or do you think the tune-up had anything to do with it?

Thanks,
Zack
just a weird twist of fate? Doesn't matter you touched it last, thats the rule. Sucks though.

brian

SILVER Star

Zack1978 said:

Zack
depends what you call spendy.

to do it right, the head will need to come off.
although i believe it can be done with the head in the truck as well.

crushers

post ho

this really should be moved to tech.

the valve seals can be changed with the head in place. bring each piston to top of stroke and remove the spring and the seal but before you do this pull the cover and do a visual of hte seals. if they are cracked then you will see them busted and missing. if they are not tehn look for a different possibility.
cheers

TX_TLC

Zack1978 said:

Thanks,
Zack

You did go back to the church and give them more money for "payment" didn't you??? If not..I think the Big Man up stairs might be telling you something.. :D

Zack1978

SILVER Star

Well in basic terms, can someone explain what the PCV system does on my truck? If the wrong PCV valve was in the truck what would happen? If a part of the PCV hose came off what would happen? If the PCV valve in the truck was broken what would happen? IF you leave the PCVvalve out for a little while, what would happem?

Thanks,
Zack

crushers

post ho

PVC-positive crank case ventalation.
if it is plugged then the built up pressure has no where to go but up past the rings and out the exhaust. take the PVC valve out and give it a shake, it should rattle, if it doesn't then it could be faulty and this could be yoru problem.
cheers

brian

SILVER Star

Postive
Crankcae
Ventalation

the pcv is in a line that connects the crankcase to the intake manifold.
the intake draws a vaccum on the case, there by pulling any burnt oil fumes out of the case. as well as insuring that the actions of the pistons do'nt pressurize the case. the pvc is a check ball, making sure that only vaccum is drawn on the case. it would be possible to "hydrolock" with air, from the bottom end, an engine with out this system. although it's really more of an a smog thing, sending burnt oil through the rest of the smog system.

in a nutshell

lingo

If you have to do the valve stem seals, the make and adapter for your air line that screws into the the spark plug hole. you screw it in and shoot air to it and it keeps the valves closed so you don't have to pull the head. but it only works if your rings and valves are in good shape.

Top Bottom