I Am Sooo Confused! Please Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys I have spent sooooo many hours on here searching for upgrades.

First Off I have a 1997 LX450 with 108,000 miles
No factory lockers, says 292 not 294
This rig was very well taken care of, very good condition, just repainted from a minor accident.

I do not know what I want to do, I would like to take my rig out and do some wheelin, but do not know what I really need to get started. I am not really interested in doing major crawlin, but would like to get out and get dirty. I don't want this thing to look like a grocery getter, even though it is. I also don't plan on going through deep water.

What kinds of items do I need to upgrade before I begin? I want to keep the truck looking nice, I mean it is a DD, and a Lexus. But I def. want to do a front bumper or brush guard. I am sitting on about $4,500, and have already done all the basic fluid changes. Can you also tell me what order I should do these things? I.Y.H.O.

What do you guys recommend? Can you post picks and prices of the things you have done, and what they have helped you to accomplish?

Size of a lift that doesnt need a ladder to get into?

Size of tires? Can I keep the factory rims?

Lockers, do I really need them?

Winch?

Not doing a snorkel, so what can I do to help performance? Is the factory airbox ok if Im not going deep water?

Do I need a SC, or a TC? This would be a last concern for me I think.

I have seen so many rigs on here that are great I mean really great, but I just don't know what they are capable of. I appologize if I am sounding ignorant, or it looks like I am wanting to get spoon fed the information. This isnt the case, It's just that there is so much out there for our rigs and I have no clue where I need to begin, the steps needed to start playing and enjoying my vehicle.

I would greatly appreciate any help at all. As I said I think I have just read TO MUCH, and now I am even more lost then before.

I am going to try to attach the links of ones I liked, and maybe it will give a rough idea of what I am looking for.

Thank you in advance for all your time and patience, you folks have been very polite and helpfull.

Jeremy

rmnp5.jpg

156006989_3fc0e274be_o.jpg

DSC00002-1.jpg

attachment.php

1770428-IMG_8649.JPG

AC.JPG

306063892_beb7dcd8d0.jpg

I don't want to post anymore, If I posted every single one I liked there wouldnt be any room for anyone else to post a return. I hope I didn't upset anybody by borrowing the pics of your vehicles from the ARTISTIC LC's. If I did please let me know and I will remove. Once
again ty for all your time! :confused:

Yep, ARB bumper if you like the look...done.

Do what you want.

Life is better that way.

You don't need any confirmation from us.

You've got examples, you've got the cash, now get to work!

;)

-o-

OME 2.5" lift
33" Tires
Sliders

For just going off road and doing some basic wheeling, that's it.

33" AT's and most other tires would fit your rims. A popular tire set are the BFG AT KO's

Then add Front Bumper, not a brush guard like in that one pic and it goes on from there.

You don't NEED a supercharger. That and everything else is gravy for jut basic offroading.

Dude, I wouldn't do anything at first. What one person likes or does may not be for the next person. I say take a conservative approach. Go do some wheelin' as you find and recognize your shortcomings fix em' buy em' do em'. You will find what you want to do as the need arises.
My .02

Looks like you want between a 33 and a 35" tire, and between 3 and 5" of lift. For about 3" of lift, things are pretty easy an straight forward (Frankie's Off Road) and cheaper. For 5" of lift, you double the cost and trouble in getting things right (unless you luck out like I have and can run Slee 6" springs and Gen 2 control arms w/o vibrations on the stock driveshaft).

I asked the same things and finally before I started modding I got some decent tires. 33 BFG A/Ts and then went from there. Now I have a TJM front bumper and an OME 2.5 kit on the way.

$4500 gives you alot to play with.

I would read and study alot before embarking on a spending plan.

33" tires (ATs or there are very streetable M/Ts such as the TOYO Cross Country) would be a good place to start. You can fit them without a lift and you can get dirty without getting into anything real hairy and that will give you some idea of what your limitations will be.

I would personally want a rear locker. Think of most 4x4s as 2 wheel drive since only one wheel per axle typically applies torque to the ground. If you add a rear locker you will have 3 wheels turning.

A 2.5" OME lift will cost about the same as a 4" OME lift. If you plan on possibly going to a 35" tire in the future (think about it - I've had my cruiser for 8 years and originally I pampered it, but I never dreamed of how much fun offroading could be) you have to have 4" of lift.

So for me I would start with:
4" lift
35" tires (I should have my Toyo M/Ts by year end :))
rear locker
sliders or a front locker (I would pick the front locker and add 5.29 gears at the same time the axles are torn apart - you'll have alot of lift and you can be mindful around the rocks)

Last edited:
I would not go with the 4" kit with an unloaded vehicle as that could cause driveline problems based on pinion angles. Each vehicle is different though.

Start slow with a 2.5" lift. I have since built up my truck with a taller lift, but doing slowly is the right way IMOP

wow, you got answers from the hall of fame of the MUD world.

How about getting some recovery gear, and joining a local TLCA club and then see what you need?

armor it up, get the 33's , I have Revos and they wear great on the road, do awesome in the dirt.

good luck, post a pic of what you have now.

Also, go to the thread near the top of the 80's page titled "FAQ for 80/LX450 series" Scroll down to the General section and you will see why you want sliders and why you don't want a brush guard

x2 on Slee's 4" lift
Rear bumper
then save more money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom