I am OK... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.toyotatrailriders.com
Coming home from work tonight, I was involved in an accident at the intersection of Forest & Josey. A young man in an oncoming Civic ran the red light as I was turning left under the arrow and he hit me head-on obliquely on the drivers corner.

His front end went under the front of my truck and impacted the LF wheel from the inside, shearing it off the hub and sending it flying off into a parking lot. My front bumper (the winch bucket actually) crushed his A pillar as he went under, protruding into the cabin about 2 feet and above the steering wheel about 8".

He suffered serious head trauma and his condition is unknown. His driver's side airbag did not deploy, although the passenger one did.

My truck has suffered structural damage to the frame, suspension and axle. I don't know how serious it is yet.

Tonight the young man is fighting for his life.

Barb and I are praying for him, we ask that you do too.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Still haven't heard about the other driver. Here's pics taken last night. The fact that he mostly went underneath saved me serious body damage, but the expensive parts were impacted (frame, core support, steering, axle, etc.).

13mq.jpg

27od.jpg

38yf.jpg

Man, That's horrible. Glad you are OK. Hope the kid pulls through ok.

Dang!
Man I'm so sorry to hear this. I sincerely hope the man makes it. I also hope you are able to work through the insurance hassle to get your truck repaired.

In a perverse way I'm glad to see Toyota over-engineering paid off in protecting you. :)

Happy Trails! N

Glad to hear your OK, sorry to hear about the truck.

Your welcome to ride with Ash & I at the round up if you want to!

This type of accident is exactly why Ash has a 80 w/armor.

Appreciate it everyone. Nick, I can tell you there wasn't much Toyota did that helped me, but alot that Justin and my axle swap did. The front bumper did its job, the plated frame held up as well as .43 wall tubing for the links and oversize Johnny Joints attached to some serious crosmembers tied into the 1/4" steel belly pan.

I am confident my frame is intact, and I have little body damage- just nicks & scrapes from debris.

It's definitely gonna take some work, but I hope we can sort through the legal/insurance hassles quickly.

I may hitch a ride on a trail or two, thanks!

BTW, the kid is alive and in SICU at Parkland. That's all I know.

valkyrie610 said:
Barb and I are praying for him, we ask that you do too.

Ditto for Janae and I.

Dang, I sure hope the kid get's OK, I have a couple of D 44's at the farm complete if ya need anything.
Butch

Yikes! Sounds nasty, but your build certainly held up!

Not to sound like a doomsayer, but don't be surprised is the kid's family tries to go after you for the truck being lifted.

What are the official Texas lift laws? In his case, also the "lowering" laws.. since I bet the civic was lowered.

Glad you're OK, hoping for the kid.

Eskimo said:
Yikes! Sounds nasty, but your build certainly held up!

Not to sound like a doomsayer, but don't be surprised is the kid's family tries to go after you for the truck being lifted.

What are the official Texas lift laws? In his case, also the "lowering" laws.. since I bet the civic was lowered.

Glad you're OK, hoping for the kid.

No lift law or bumper laws in Tx.
only lowering law is that no part of the body or frame can extend below the bottom of the rims

Thanks for the thoughts guys. The boy's father stopped by to check on me; he seemed like a very civil, polite man.

Reginald has been released from the hospital and is resting at the parent's house. It may be a long, slow recovery, but at least he is alive. As of now he has no recollection of the accident.

According to the father, Reginald has insurance.

My insurance appraiser is meeting me Wednesday.

Butch, I will probably need to talk to you about an axle Thursday, thanks for the offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom