I am NOT Goldilocks. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gordista

Me and the Clan in 'Yota Landcruisers out there
SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone experienced getting multiple mixed messages under guise of “concern” regarding your Cruiser?

Ex: spoke with a few mechanics/steel fabrication folk (as welding & fabrication is not my bag)

The first told me frame is completely “unsalvageable, “someone did you dirty”, “you should sell it asap and not put time or money into it” …

Two whom work together have told me it’s not bad certainly not as they’ve seen. yes rear frame can be repaired, reinforced and could be driven safely as is..no you’re not gonna be Fred Flintstone -
It’s a Toyota notorious for rust - and that this rust in rear is most common for age & mileage - in fact the design of rear frame and channels is almost designed in such a fashion that it makes the work easier. Aside from that it’s safe to drive now. It runs like a clock. They love the car. The interior is mint given age. No huge issues aside getting some repairs done to frame and replacing channels. And if you want to sell it let us know.

Fourth guy who works on two other of my vintage cars agrees that rust never sleeps but steel is real is thrilled to do the work and has time now.
Winner winner chicken dinner. :)

This morning out of blue the first guy calls me up to let me know that he recently learned that because of the open recall & the parts being discontinued Toyota is required to make you an offer to buy it back. You should reach out to Toyota and make a report- I’d love to know what they offer you.”

Curious if anyone has experienced individuals telling you an overwhelming s*** storm of BS proceeded with I’ll happily buy it from you?

It's not uncommon for shops to offer to buy a vehicle if a repair or project is one that would normally cost a ton of labor hours - like repairing a chassis, a gas tank, etc, since the owner of that business can do that repair themselves and basically add that value to the vehicle for "free" and then resell or just own for a lower price-point then that vehicle would normally cost.

Thank you all kindly for thoughts! I have arranged a steel wizard to take on replacing channels and potentially boxing/reinforcing frame (and I apologize in advance if this sounds naive or unrealistic) - but it’s certainly instilled my joy and confidence in the ole gal.
I was not expecting a pageant winner and knew what I was getting into. In years of hunting I certainly weighed the pros and cons of where in the states the LC came from- I was even fine with it arriving with a family of mice - albeit there was no rodents but evidence of a wasps nest in the windshield defrost blower doohickeys at one time.

I was more curious if anyone had encountered people who actually wanted the vehicle for themselves and used a “fear based” tactic to do so.
Given the fact that I am (and for those woke folks) a born female- and often times run into those who assume because of such I mustn’t have a clue about anything other than cooking and shopping 😂🤷‍♀️

you posted the other day you were going to go and get some pics when it was at a shop.
without pics none of us can give an honest answer.

@TRAIL TAILOR makes replacement "C" channels if that is what is bad

You said it had a "monster custom frame" on your intro post. We didn't get to see it. Can we see pics of the frame?
Gotcha! Oh lord Sorry - excitement and distraction not paying attention to very specific language
Def not monster custom FRAME FRAME! And if that were the case I’d be the queen of Land Cruiser land! 😂 and Wouldn’t be facing the money pit of madness and obsession I fear I’m embarking on.

So correction- Custom or “one of a kind” wrap around steel tube bush guard courtesy of owner 3- who I was told was a welder by trade. Only thing not rusty. 🤦🏼‍♀️

you posted the other day you were going to go and get some pics when it was at a shop.
without pics none of us can give an honest answer.

@TRAIL TAILOR makes replacement "C" channels if that is what is bad
Yes and I did say I would - and I failed. What can I say - I turned into a complete girl, fell victim to salesman type vulture technique of ‘let me scare you into selling it to me lady cause it’s rad!’.
And then spent rest of a day pretending this magnificent blue thing was in my garage. Boohooing in my soup.

It's not uncommon for shops to offer to buy a vehicle if a repair or project is one that would normally cost a ton of labor hours - like repairing a chassis, a gas tank, etc, since the owner of that business can do that repair themselves and basically add that value to the vehicle for "free" and then resell or just own for a lower price-point then that vehicle would normally cost.
Cruisermatt agreed and agreed! Gotta love a small town though- heard through grapevine it wasn’t so much of saving me money as it was one the employees wanted the vehicle for himself.

Pictures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom