I am looking for cooler recommendations for the back of my fj40 (no cooler rack)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Initially I was looking at the Dimensions between the 48qt and the 54qt coolers.
Now I'm wondering if getting TWO 25qt coolers would be a better way to go?

thanks,
manny

Two collers works better for me. You can work out of one and the other will keep cold longer. One big cooler doesn't work as well, warms up quicker, is HEAVY, and awkward to store.

M

I also like the idea of making some brackets to secure them...pull the jump seats/install coolers.

2 coolers it is...thanks.
manny

How about an ARB/Engel/Norcold Fridge/Freezer?
No need to worry about ice ever.

I have one in my 80 and love it. :D

If you're stuck on the cooler/ice combo, I'd go with 2 as well -- that way you have the option of having food in one and drinks in the other OR load one up with dry ice to keep things frozen and the other with ice to keep things cool.

mr_manny said:
Initially I was looking at the Dimensions between the 48qt and the 54qt coolers.
Now I'm wondering if getting TWO 25qt coolers would be a better way to go?

thanks,
manny
I totally disagree with two coolers are better than one. I used to do that. I kept getting bigger and bigger coolers until now I run a 100qt. Smart and Final has 150 qt models on sale for way cheap right now.

With the larger cooler you have less surface area to warm up the cooler contents, and you can use bigger blocks of ice, which also last longer.

I'm about to buy a second cooler just smaller than my current cooler so they will "nest" for storage. Also easier to configure smaller coolers in the back with other luggage.

Ken

I like the new stainless Colemans. I hate the latches, and the fact that there are no bottle openers on them. My old Coleman got crushed from my fat ass brother sitting on it.

Got a fix for the POS latch?

M

I have 2 old Colamans that my father and greandfather used to take out with them, and I'll never part with them. They've held ice for over a week out in the blazing sun, with no complaints.

Mike S said:
Ken

I like the new stainless Colemans. I hate the latches, and the fact that there are no bottle openers on them. My old Coleman got crushed from my fat ass brother sitting on it.

Got a fix for the POS latch?

M

yes- sell it. they aren't made like they used to be. :flipoff2:

Used sporting goods stores... you guys should have them. We have one in Portland, Next Adventure, and one in Bend. Those are the decent ones. There are a lot of crappy ones out there too. Every city should have these- old school stoves for $15, nalgene bottles for $2, equipment beners for $2, coolers were $15 each I think. Water coolers, backpacks, kayaks, paddles, life vests, you name it. I bought one of those huge gatorade water coolers that was brand new with cups and mix inside for $30. Great for long dry trips when you need to dump a jug of gatorade on your coaches head in BFE.

2 coolers is the way to go...

If on an extended trip, one can be sealed (another great use for duct tape) and will remain cold longer - one of my professors uses dry ice in the sealed one - the other you use until done, then move on to the fresh, cold one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom