I am buying a FJ40 this Sunday. Need help. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys i currently own blue 78 fj40 American release with an 2f motor bought it two months ago. I drive it daily 50-60 miles. And I am realizing this car is not gonna last long and the body is not to my liking hidden rust and no power steering or AC

so I picking up this white 74 fj40. The owner is not sure if the motor 2f he says it might be an 1f for reason unknown. The picture of the engine shows 2f on the valve cover. Can you guys tell me what engine this is. And if it's the f1 is it still worth getting?

He is asking 16k for it has power steering/ac/new suspension he lives 5 hours away I wanted to ask you guys for your thoughts before driving 5 hours with a trailer.

62EFAF12-BB69-4246-920E-A379D34BAAE2.png

F7069A1C-B3E1-4CEB-AA74-007A039CED3F.png

CA6D4E51-AC42-468B-A92E-D1451A60E026.png

F32D4CD6-B905-422C-A161-DA8C7C9C4A4F.png

1D145447-DFA1-471C-8521-DCA67834C6C6.png

No !, :bang:
Not a second time ! :deadhorse:

Some things are pretty pieced together on this one, maybe have more patience or search further out of your area

Last edited:
1) south american Cruiser
2) quick and dirty respray
3) things are hiding

Ask for a serial number from the engine block. If it starts with F its an F then its an F motor. Valve cover means nothing. Where's the oil filter? F will have them on the intake manifold. The exception, in North America, is a 1974 which will have it mounted on the block beside the distributor. The 1.5 F is very well respected... and there's nothing wrong with F motors.

A one piece rear door... Jeepers, never seen one before.. And the roof is a bit odd.. !!!!

Guys so I am okay with it being a South America. And I currently own a American release which looks good from far but it's far from good. I am really into where the car was release as long as it's not a complete junk. Keep in mind nothing Belen 60k is going to be perfect shape. I am paying 16k do
You guys think I can find a better one. And what engine is that!

Just forget this! Maybe redone many times and mixed/missing parts. It’s not worth even thinking about it.

What the hell is that thing!!?? Where are all the dash knobs!!? It has a 70 series steering wheel and it doesn't even have the shroud on it. The roof is strange, the whole rear end looks bizarre. Stay the hell away from that thing, its an aberration.

I don't hate it from the outside. However, I agree with others that it probably has some hidden gremlins. and will most likely not be turn key.

Last edited:
No heat. Pretty. Dash is odd, cheap respray, odd fixtures. Flame me. I have never seen a SA truck that is more than lipstick on a pig. Major FUps. If you enjoy a major PO bitch session, have at it. Paint is pretty because it’s fresh. Never seen good paint prep. Rust always bleeds through. Ask for detailed resto pics. If they don’t have it, run.

‘I wouldn’t touch that with your dock’. Run, run, run away. Try to make world record time.

If someone is willing to rig something as basic and as important as brakelines, there's no telling what other safety items are hacked too.

I agree with everyone else. This thing looks like a basket case. I believe you can find a much better example for the money you have to spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom