I am about to buy a 1993 FZJ 80... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to buy an FZJ80 from the original owner and have a few questions:

1. How many miles is too many miles?
2. At 350k miles, what should I expect to break, wear out or need to replace?

Thank you

Original owner, no accidents, always garaged, maintaind by same Toyota dealership, all service records plus e lockers.
Body and paint is perfect!

Where is this vehicle located again?

All service records but what does that entail....front axle rebuild, head gasket? Anything else major?
If they just took it in for routine oil changes that doesn't mean anything

expect windows and seat belt retraction to be slow and worn out.

And speakers blown.

expect windows and seat belt retraction to be slow and worn out.

And speakers blown.
what about mechanical stuff like engine rings, bearings, trans and TC?

depends on what kind of maintenance has been done.

Bottom end should be fine but headgasket/head/valves could probably use a refresh.

depends on what kind of maintenance has been done.

Bottom end should be fine but headgasket/head/valves could probably use a refresh.
What about piston rings?

Just drive it and let it talk to you. There are plenty of documented 80’s beyond 400k here on Mud. If it was truly maintained at a dealer ship that’s worth it’s salt, you should be sitting pretty.

White 1993 is a win. Mine is at 290k and uses one quart of oil by the time I change it out at 5k.

Do the lockers work?

Buy the looks of the pictures they kept it in good shape. Plus I am a fan of the 93 94 year model. Are you going to share the price that you paid for this clean specimen.

Buy the looks of the pictures they kept it in good shape. Plus I am a fan of the 93 94 year model. Are you going to share the price that you paid for this clean specimen.
Well... I was gonna take a survey actually. So let’s start with you.

Sorry I don't do surveys. But I can tell you that I payed $2800.00 for my locked 94 with 270k Miles on it and no not as cleans as the one in your drive way. The day I brought it home.
315B1DBE-283D-4A14-BC8C-10A75A8B4F15.jpeg

The ’93 has the largest starter of any 80 series.

The '93, ’94 has acorn shaped nuts, the rest are washer nuts. The '93 has the desirable black fan clutch. Less smog BS components. Handling and braking are no different if you have the disc brakes all around. The biggest difference in any vehicle is the driver.

I would check all hoses, replace the hard ones, check the fan clutch (the more resistance the better), Check all fluids, grease the birfs, tighten the knuckles, grease front drive shaft, (green grease on the crosses and molly on slip joints), grease U-Joints on Rear Drive Shaft, Check and/or tightened Steering Nuts (four on each front under birfs), etc.

Check all torque specification on all nuts. I believe the acorn nuts on the '93/'94 are torqued at around 108ish lbf⋅ft of torque

Zona

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom