Upgrading HZJ80 to HZJ85 -w/ ex 105's engine & axles. My ultimate HZJ80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
LC bug bit me once again, got no cure, have follow the poison....

After more than 8 years since i sold my last Land Cruiser 60, i started to miss the feeling and joy of driving one.

Once again, I want a Land Cruiser.
Unfortunately, at the place i live now, not much population of good and decent LC60.

I started to play with the idea of building an ideal HZJ80, the way i want it.

I don't want Turbo machine, 1HZ is perfect.
Reliable, easy spare part availability, and the most important thing is: It is SLOW.... feels like 2H in the HJ60
Sourcing a late 1HZ from a 105 was my ideal goal.

I want split rims, tall and skinny tire.
As i look for them, older split rims have a lot of rust on them, being at least 30 years old.
A split rim from younger Land Cruiser would be ideal, but they all come in 5 lugs.

Should i build a HZJ85?

PLEASE HELP ME TO DECIDE

Found one among 20 units i viewed in the last 6 months....

looks quite unsomolested....

Decided on this HZJ80:
IMG_20220127_202137_766.jpg

Nice hzj80 right there. More pics on your upgrades 😁 Do you plan to lift it? and what tires will you put?
More pics coming this weekend...

Currently welding the rusted part on the rear floor area.
Got a rear half cut body for welding donor.

I plan to lift 2inches, with BP51 shocks.
Converted to 5 studs axle, parts off 2003 mint HZJ105.
Will use HZJ79 split rims and 255/85R16 Cooper St T Maxx

LC bug bit me once again, got no cure, have follow the poison....

After more than 8 years since i sold my last Land Cruiser 60, i started to miss the feeling and joy of driving one.

Once again, I want a Land Cruiser.
Unfortunately, at the place i live now, not much population of good and decent LC60.

I started to play with the idea of building an ideal HZJ80, the way i want it.

I don't want Turbo machine, 1HZ is perfect.
Reliable, easy spare part availability, and the most important thing is: It is SLOW.... feels like 2H in the HJ60
Sourcing a late 1HZ from a 105 was my ideal goal.

I want split rims, tall and skinny tire.
As i look for them, older split rims have a lot of rust on them, being at least 30 years old.
A split rim from younger Land Cruiser would be ideal, but they all come in 5 lugs.

Should i build a HZJ85?

PLEASE HELP ME TO DECIDE

Why not just put the 105 1hz into an 80? Keep the 80s axles.
The engine bolts in ( immobiliser might need a work around if the 105 engine had one) and apart from a few small differences 80 and 105 axles are basically the same.

The engine bolts in ( immobiliser might need a work around if the 105 engine had one) and apart from a few small differences 80 and 105 axles are basically the same.

Yes they are exactly the same, with slightly bigger brake system.

Diff gear ratio is a bit higher, very nice with 33" tyres.
Factory LSD at the rear too...

Overall it feels more sharp and new, probably due to the gears and setting in my previous 80 axles is about worn out or abit off....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom