hzj80 rough startup on occasion. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, first post here looking for some advice on whats going on with my car.

It's a 1994 hzj80 with a 1hz engine @490,000 km, has had a safari turbo kit fitted from new, h150f transmission.

Upon startup, sometimes it will misfire for ten seconds or so, but it seems to do it more when the engine is warmish, never at running temp, and not much at all when it's cold.
Sounds like its dropping one, maybe two cylinders, once its cleared whatever is going on in roughly ten seconds it runs perfectly.

To try and troubleshoot i have installed new glow plugs, verified glow plug rail is getting voltage (i can hear the relay kick off when it has finished glowing also), checked and replaced some fuel lines from tank to diesel filter, replaced lines from filter to pump then to fuel rail, installed new fuel filter, air filter, and other things i may forget. It has been ongoing for a few months now.

Even if i wait for the relay to click then try start, it still misfires sometimes.

I'm thinking its possibly injectors, or my diesel pump, any help on how to know what to do from here would be knowledge very much appreciated, thank you.

IMG20200420154107.jpg

Most the guys in this part of the forum are from North America. They don't see many diesel cruisers.
You'll get a lot more response in the diesel tech section.

Try temporarily fitting a bit of clear tube between fuel filter and fuel pump and watch it when you start the engine.
If you see bubbles, you have a leak in a fuel hose, or in the hand primer assembly that is allowing air into the system and possibly allowing fuel to drain back to the tank a little

For reference, this example above is a hz that was stumbling badly under acceleration.

You may only see bubbles for a few seconds as the engine is started

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom