HZJ79 help - Aussie's! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

I want to install a cable locker from a 1989 BJ74 into the rear end of a 2003 HZJ79. Is this possible, and what will I need?

I have the locker, and I have the longspline shaft from the older truck, but the EPC says I need a different axle - the old style wont work as the flange is larger on the newer axle.

Any ideas?, Part number for the proper axle? will the cable locker work in that rear end? And finally, if I need a different axle - where in Aus can I buy one?

Thanks very much.

Hi Guys,

I want to install a cable locker from a 1989 BJ74 into the rear end of a 2003 HZJ79. Is this possible, and what will I need?

I have the locker, and I have the longspline shaft from the older truck, but the EPC says I need a different axle - the old style wont work as the flange is larger on the newer axle.

Any ideas?, Part number for the proper axle? will the cable locker work in that rear end? And finally, if I need a different axle - where in Aus can I buy one?

Thanks very much.

Isn't the 79 series a 32 spline rear axle? Arb lists the 1998+ axles as using a RD64 unlike the previous years RD33.

Damn, just counted, yup, it is a 32 spline - so i guess that won't fit. Jesus.

Anyone want to buy some lockers with cables, and axles?

Can you swap the actuators from the cable locker into a 98 ZJ100 e locker? Somewhere there was a thread where someone swapped spiders (out of an elocker?) so they could run a 98 older diff in a 100 series.

Hmm, good point, if I switched the inards out of the newer diffinto the older locker - and got a longspline shaft for a newer (98 and newer) it might work.

that should work

As long as the 32 spline open diff side gears are the same as the locking diff (i believe they are). the id of the journal will need turned out to accept the 32 spline shaft. I have a good used 100 series 32 spline e-locker diff w/ actuator that would make it easier. 4.30 ratio though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom