HZJ77 body roll (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my truck has new shocks and OME springs, shackles, etc., but I'm still getting really bad body roll even on low speed turns. Thoughts?

20200703_172203.jpg

20200703_172133.jpg

20200703_172129.jpg

I'm not familiar with the HD 70 series, but I don't see any sway bar on it? Did they come with sway bars?

It looks like we have the same kit assuming yours is medium duty springs. I don't think you will be able to eliminate the body roll entirely as I feel I have a little bit also.

It looks like we have the same kit assuming yours is medium duty springs. I don't think you will be able to eliminate the body roll entirely as I feel I have a little bit also.
Do you have sway bars?

Does an HZJ76 have a rear sway bar? Might be able to get some of the necessary brackets and hardware that way.

Two things to consider:

1. Rear axle width for axle-to-frame attachment. IIRC, 77 and 76 axle might be different due to one being disc brake rear and on being drum brake rear. I do t recall off the top of my head.

2. The axle-side attachment points for the D-style bushings. You would need to confirm that they indeed exist on the axle housing so you can mount the bushings with two brackets and 4 bolts.

Can you define "really bad body roll" ? Depending on where you're at in Florida I'd let you drive my FJ62 if you want to see really bad body roll :lol:

From your pictures, even without any sway bars, those fresh arched springs, new shocks, and that shackle angle should net you a pretty stiff ride with good body roll control around corner, for a Land Cruiser anyways.

Can you define "really bad body roll" ? Depending on where you're at in Florida I'd let you drive my FJ62 if you want to see really bad body roll :lol:

From your pictures, even without any sway bars, those fresh arched springs, new shocks, and that shackle angle should net you a pretty stiff ride with good body roll control around corner, for a Land Cruiser anyways.

I don't know, it just feels a little different than my Porsche!

I don't know, it just feels a little different than my Porsche!

This is what I was getting at. Have you driven a lot of high COG trucks?

This is what I was getting at. Have you driven a lot of high COG trucks?

That was a joke, which i enjoyed very much...

Yes, I have driven my share. The body roll on this hzj77 was really bad on the 30 year old springs, much better now, but I would love to flatten it out a bit. And I wasnt sure if it was supposed to have a rear sway bar that was removed, evidently not. I believe my LJ78 had one, but that truck had an entirely different suspension.

That was a joke, which i enjoyed very much...

Yes, I have driven my share. The body roll on this hzj77 was really bad on the 30 year old springs, much better now, but I would love to flatten it out a bit. And I wasnt sure if it was supposed to have a rear sway bar that was removed, evidently not. I believe my LJ78 had one, but that truck had an entirely different suspension.

A leaf spring suspension should naturally be stiffer then a coil spring suspension due to the friction of the leafs which increase the spring rate. Take some good pictures of your front sway bar setup when it's light out tomorrow. A rear sway bar or airbags will likely help a lot but let's see what the front looks like first before you shoot the parts cannon at it.

A leaf spring suspension should naturally be stiffer then a coil spring suspension due to the friction of the leafs which increase the spring rate. Take some good pictures of your front sway bar setup when it's light out tomorrow. A rear sway bar or airbags will likely help a lot but let's see what the front looks like first.

Same as a 62.

Same as a 62.

Yeah, but let's make sure it's actually installed, correctly, and that all the bushings are present and in good shape :lol:

You can move to poly bushings in the front sway bar that will help a tad bit, especially if your factory rubber bushings on the axle are mush. I'd take a look at your bushings

Obviously a rear sway bar will help, but it'll require some custom fab.

The other option that no one here has mentioned is a shock upgrade. You can tune out a lot of body roll with a shock that will allow for custom tuning. Higher rebound pushes weight to the opposite tire more quickly.

Even on these old leaf shrug rigs, high end shocks can make a huge difference. Really nice looking truck by the way :)

my truck has new shocks and OME springs, shackles, etc., but I'm still getting really bad body roll even on low speed turns. Thoughts?

View attachment 2360618

View attachment 2360619

View attachment 2360620

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom