Builds HZJ75 Troopy - campin' roadtrippin' wheelin' build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hear you on the advantages of LEDs but I am not after efficiency. I have plenty of electrons to spare. Instead I am after rugged (no cooling fans or circuit boards on these bulbs!), ice melting, and for a wee bit of sentimentality, period-correct color temperature. The massive price difference doesn't hurt.

I have seen and installed a lot of LEDs on peoples rigs. The retrobrights are the best LED headlight I have laid hands on, but still, not for me.

I might go with LED fogs but def not at Baja Design prices. Maybe if I were building a race truck with sponsorship :)

That money goes into the fuel/turbo/onboard margarita machine fund.

Not many options in Halogen that I can find. Used/old stock IPF 840 fogs are out there and Hella still makes the 450 fogs. They are annoyingly rectangular (I like round things) but I will probably go this route.

I see now that the Hella Rallye 4000 is available in an sae/ece halogen fog. Round. But kinda big at 222mm / 8.75". I found two smaller Hellas - the FF50 (117mm/4.6") and FF75 (155mm/6").

And expanding my search to vintage trucks and big rigs, I see some Union Pacific street legal fogs out there (~5").

I'm paying attention to width/diameter as I am hoping to use the existing mounting holes in my bumper and need to watch for clearance to the roo bar.

I made a final decision on lights.

• I am using Hella Rallye 500s for the fogs in a clear lens.
  • For the aux driving lights, I traded some work to a friend for a pair of Hella ~9" e-code driving lights. Way bigger than I'd planned to use but that's $300 saved for the margarita machine fund. If this hadn't come up I'd have gone with Hella 4000 compact driving beams.
  • I also added a pair of Hella FF75s with fog optics to replace the RFI-spewing LEDs I am currently using for cornering/ditch lights.

I'll replace bulbs with Osram Night breakers as needed.

This should give me good lighting that is street legal and not a hazard to others on the road. Will post pics once installed.

Lights are backordered but should be arriving soon. In the meantime, I have this rad new rear step that @hairy_apple built for me in exchange for some work on his 40. It has adjustable height, can be broken down for storage, and reversable if I want to leave it on the bumper for a short drive.

@Owyhee Jackass asked for some pics so here we are. Not yet powder coated.

Imagepipe_58.jpg

Imagepipe_60.jpg

Imagepipe_59.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom