For Sale HZJ75 pickup in Europe--Low Miles, No Rust + A/C (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In keeping with my habit of posting interesting 70-series trucks that I've come across, here's another one. 1995 HZJ75 pickup with only 110500km (under 69k miles) from new, claimed no rust, and optional air conditioning. Aside from the ghastly paint job (let's hope it's just stickers), it seems to be in very good shape. Seller's asking 16,500 Euro (just under US$19,000), which isn't terrible, and he says he'll negotiate. There's a fair amount of expense to get it to the USA, of course. Not legal to import for maybe a year, but storage is cheap near the port in Zeebrugge.

Here's the listing:

I saw that one too. Since it was a '95 I scoped it but kept on going. I think that looks like a great price for an HZJ75.
With the chicken tax, finders fee and shipping, it's maybe getting a little too rich for my blood.

I keep looking at BJ75 pickups because I've owned a cruiser with a 3B, so it's familiar AND they're a little more in the price range of what I wanna spend. I DO agree however with you guys that have been around the block that say something to the effect of: "Spend a bit more and buy as new as you can". There is value in that motto.

BTW, nothing wrong with a 3B powered truck. My Troopy is a BJ75. You just have to be comfortable with it's limitations. For around town, it's fine. For on the trail, it's fine. Two lane roads, also fine. Cruising down the freeway, I'm OK keeping mine at or under 110 kph. Where a 3B hits a wall performance-wise is if you add moderate/steep grades, headwinds, high altitude, taller than stock tires, and/or more weight.

I just took a 3600 mile roadtrip in mine. It performed flawlessly and topped 25mpg.

Wow! Nice to know.
Yeah, I felt my 3B was pretty peppy for a 4 cylinder. I'm a pokey, take it easy driver as well. In the last 10 years the only vehicles I've owned have been classic Mercedes diesels or Land Cruiser diesels. I don't drive them for speed and power myself, either. I drive them because they have class and because I like tinkering with them.

Thought I should post photos of the truck in question since of course at some point the ad will go away.

8a6cc7018bec4d59599cd82d68138ed56cd5e9fd.jpg
7112f1f1939e0f8c56a63542cd6268eff9379671.jpg
87521794d1a958748da06b10c8867155d28eabe9.jpg

And the text of the ad (translated from French--notes in parentheses are mine):

"sell HZJ 75 vintage pick-up year 95

ex - administrative vehicle - 110500 km certified

technical control available: ok very good condition (
tech control = roadworthy inspection)

distribution made .option air conditioning, 12 volts converter
(distribution made = ?)

Vehicle completely revised and fully original. No rust
(revised and original? Google translate.)

travels all distances

Price to be reasonably discussed in front of the vehicle
(i.e. price negotiable)

Regards,"

Not sure if anyone here wants to invest the necessary coin to get it here, but it serves as a reference point for pricing/condition for anyone looking for one of these.

Looks like they didn’t abuse so that price is more then fair imop. Paint job will scare away some potential buyers but some new paint and remove that tarp and it will be a complete different cruisers

Not in the US by evidence of the dude on here who took a wash on his.
I'm not sure I would base the Ute market on that one example.

Couple things to note: The European one is original, low-miles, needing nothing but minor cosmetics (assuming the stripes are stickers). According to the ad, you could drive it anywhere, and it has a/c (highly desirable but somewhat rare option). The dude on here who took a wash on his had bought a rusty, bodged, high miles, nightmare of a truck from all reports. The consensus seemed to be pretty much nothing right with it. So hardly a fair comparison in that respect.

That said, the ad referenced above disappeared within a week of being posted. Presumably sold at or near the asking price. I think it would be easy to get the same price for the same truck in the USA. Wish I had a lot full of them. Trouble comes when you add the price of getting it here, and, especially (in the case of pickups), the chicken tax.

Couple things to note: The European one is original, low-miles, needing nothing but minor cosmetics (assuming the stripes are stickers). According to the ad, you could drive it anywhere, and it has a/c (highly desirable but somewhat rare option). The dude on here who took a wash on his had bought a rusty, bodged, high miles, nightmare of a truck from all reports. The consensus seemed to be pretty much nothing right with it. So hardly a fair comparison in that respect.

That said, the ad referenced above disappeared within a week of being posted. Presumably sold at or near the asking price. I think it would be easy to get the same price for the same truck in the USA. Wish I had a lot full of them. Trouble comes when you add the price of getting it here, and, especially (in the case of pickups), the chicken tax.
How is the "Chicken Tax" determined? (a fixed amount or based on the value of the vehicle?)
Thanks

I'm not sure I would base the Ute market on that one example.

Fair enough but he ate like over $8k on it and it was a screaming deal if it didn’t have 50lbs of bondo in it.

I get pickup requests a lot, second only to Troopy requests.

But everyone wants low mile rust free time capsules for under $20k. Not something I can find.

Cheers

I just clear a container last week. Door to door it is going to be right around $10k. So ya $5k to get it here is standard from my experience. In fact last three containers dating back to 2012 were all right around $5k a truck. And I tried three different ports and custom brokers.

People should figure $5k a rig to import, you get it in for less, great you will be stoked!

Cheers

How is the "Chicken Tax" determined?

25% of the sale price (from the Bill of Sale).

But everyone wants low mile rust free time capsules for under $20k. Not something I can find.

True Dat. You can't find 'em, and neither can anyone else, 'cause they're not out there, or at least not for cheap. If a buyer wants a low miles, rust-free time capsule (assuming there's one to be found), he needs to pony up the big coin. Supply and demand. Economics 101. The internet is worldwide. Sellers are smart. Hard to find a bargain anymore.

$5k to get it here is standard from my experience.

Totally reasonable number to work with for guesstimating costs, based on my experience. It varies based on many factors, but $5k is good to start.

If you find a truck you like, convert sale price from local currency to US$ then add $5k. Do you still want it?

True Dat. You can't find 'em, and neither can anyone else, 'cause they're not out there, or at least not for cheap. If a buyer wants a low miles, rust-free time capsule (assuming there's one to be found), he needs to pony up the big coin. Supply and demand. Economics 101. The internet is worldwide. Sellers are smart. Hard to find a bargain anymore.

Totally reasonable number to work with for guesstimating costs, based on my experience. It varies based on many factors, but $5k is good to start.

If you find a truck you like, convert sale price from local currency to US$ then add $5k. Do you still want it?

If I could just get them without the other $5k tacked on I would get an HJ47 for a shop truck.

Can’t do that though so I am looking for a US mini truck instead.

Cheers

Thanks

There are a lot of variables when shipping vehicles from around the world. RORO ( roll on roll off) is probably the cheapest options and again it depends on what side of the coast you are on. Shipping from Japan to Tacoma you are most likely into a truck for $3000 to $4000, however shipping a container from South Africa you can expect a lot more. These cost include shipping, customs and broker. One of the most expensive shipments I have had was from South Africa adding about $7500 to each vehicle in a 40 foot container. As the old saying goes pay to play!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom