HZJ73 engaged locking hubs (ONLY) binds up steering? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi gang,

I'm a proud new owner of an HZ73 with Aisin locking hubs as well as factory electric locking diffs. To be clear though, this issue does NOT concern the diff lockers. According to factory manual and plenty of what I've already read on this forum, it sounds normal to leave wheel hubs locked for, say the winter season, so when the occasion does arise (snowy roads) all you need to do is hit the 4H button when needed. Then in spring, folks will "free" the hubs for the summer and use as needed off road.

Here's the scenario I just experienced on a short drive:

Prior to leaving my house I locked the wheel hubs. Vehicle remains in 2H. The 4H transfer case button is NOT engaged. I start out my gravel driveway with some snow/ice on it that slopes up to a dirt road. Hitting the snow/ice, back wheels spin and I can't get out the driveway and up onto the road (perfect test).

So I stop, engage the 4H button, dash light illuminates and I try again. This time front wheels engage as expected and I drive out of the drive way no problem. Once on the dirt road, I disengage 4H (dash light turns off) and resume 2H driving with wheel hubs locked still.

A half-mile down the road, the surface changes from dirt to paved and descends a steep winding hill. Through the descent I start getting weird feedback through the steering wheel, like the wheels are slow to respond to steering input requiring quite a degree of concentration and slow driving. At the bottom of the hill, the road t-bones with another paved road. As I slow to a stop, the steering gets even harder. And after stopping, as I try to turn 90º onto the next road, I can barely turn the vehicle at all. So I get out, return the wheel hubs to "free", and resume my drive at which point everything feels normal again.

So what gives? Is the 4H not disengaging even though the dash light turns off? Is this a potential problem with the hubs? It should be normal to drive in 2H with wheel hubs locked right?

Thanks!

Yes you can drive in 2h with hubs locked. The steering usually feels a little different as more “things” are turning now.
however you still should be able to turn fine if the tcase disengages. It almost sounds like it didn’t which is why it bound up.
sometimes, especially on a dodge truck I have, I have to back up to get things to fully disengauge From 4wd. Also, just like the lockers, if the gears have tension on them, they might not release.

Are you 100% sure the difflock was not engaged? Jack up a wheel & make sure. Also make sure it is changing from 2H to 4H properly.

Being in 4wd on a paved surface may make steering feel a little different, but "I can barely turn the vehicle at all" really sounds like a front locker jammed on.

Cheers
Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom