HZJ73 Electric Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rvl

Threads
Pulling out a HZJ73 electric locker from a scrapped truck and putting it into my HZJ73 .

Problems/Questions
-the shop that was doing it gave up
-what wiring do I pull out of the donor?
-how do I hook up the original wiring ?
-the shop phoned 15minutes ago and told me to get come get both trucks
-are there any photos of how the original is wired up ?

I printed out a 4x4wire and Carterman article on wiring but it doesnt say anything about wiring up the Toyota ECU

Thanks

Robert VanLane

Rob I dont have the ability to post a photo out of my manual.
The schematic looks fairly simple though.
You will need the 4wd switch, front difflock switch,rear difflock switch and difflock control switch and all the wiring back to the diff lock ecu.
From there the wiring goes to the front and rear diff lock actuators.
The only other wiring is the 2 power wires back to the ignition ,3 to the instrument cluster,1 for the speed sensor and the grounds
You could just cut the wiring at the switches and leave enough hanging out to identify the colours later when you got a manual.
Im using a Gregories # 513 for HZJ 75

I wish it was that simple 2 relays and finished.

Thanks I pulled out my Gregories again to check and found the schematic of the locker. I had checked before but didnt see it and was hoping to find a more involved write up about the electrics. I'll fax it off to the shop tomorrow and see if that helps.
But I think the shop gave up and doesnt want to have anything to do with it.

Robert VanLane

Been working on the electric lockers since Tuesday now.
Got the rear in but no switches or electrics installed yet.

Robert VanLane

;)hi, here in the phillippines specially the guys here in mindanao use the land cruzer diff locks as a cheap alternate for ARB,what i did to my diff lock is omit the electric locker bekuz it engages slower than what i have now,i used an exhaust brake from a truck,used an old aircon compressor,piston type -the one they sometimes used as an alternate aircompressor,put an external tank to store air,use an air hose or whatever the exhaust brake uses,then palce the exhaust brake in the electric diff lock stuff,use the rod from the exhaust brake in place of the electric lockers rod,the concept of the exhaust brake is the same as the electric lockers working mechanism,i suggest u observe how the exhaust brake from the truck works.. :cheers:

I agree with low4. The electric setup seemed too fragile for the conditions around here so I ditched it in favor of a simple air actuator. It cost me a tap, a $4 actuator and a $40 air switch. Some of my friends are mocking me because I swore I'd never use air lockers again.

WIsh I could be more help with the wiring.

Good Luck!

Good luck in wireing the OEM e lockers .
Not an easy job !
But if you have the same truck and wire from a scrap donor , take it all out !
And replace yours .
It took 2 full days for a professional electric car to do mine !
But they work really nice 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom