HZJ73 5MT Transmission/transfer case noise. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening all,
I recently purchased a 1995 Cruiser and at the time of purchase everything was mint. Test drive went well and didn’t notice anything wrong with the vehicle. Fast forward to 1000km later and I have a faint but noticeable metal rattling sound similar to that of a twin disc clutch ( not sure how else to describe it).
noise is there any time the vehicle is moving over 5kph and it’s just noise. No vibration, no clunking, nothing.
One thing I have noticed is that it goes away when I place the vehicle in 4WD so that makes me think it’s transfer case related.
I let the dealership do their checks and just received a message saying that the transmission is “completely broken”. Naturally my stomach flipped but at the same time I am confused because it shifts nice and easy with every gear and other than the faint noise there is no grinding, clunking or anything plus I drove the thing over 1000km with no issues shifting.
Anyone else heard or experienced this problem. They want $4500 dollars for a new transmission that apparently isn’t made anymore so I’m not sure what me paying them 4500 for a new one would do haha. I feel it could be a “hey pay us money because we said it’s busted when it’s not” scheme.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yeah 1st I would get a second opinion or gonto a land cruiser specialty shop. They are tough transmissions. Personally I think ujoint. By putting it in 4wd you are changing the load on the ujoints and transfer. have you checked for play in the driveshaft?

Yeah 1st I would get a second opinion or gonto a land cruiser specialty shop. They are tough transmissions. Personally I think ujoint. By putting it in 4wd you are changing the load on the ujoints and transfer. have you checked for play in the driveshaft?
I have, backlash seems fine but I have noticed that when I use the side of my hand and bang on the front shaft from transfer case to front differential it makes a sound similar to what I am hearing. I am hoping it’s just a bearing or maybe a u joint like you stated. Just wanted to get some second opinions first. I’m almost positive the trans is fine. Dealers can’t always be trusted.

Had a shop tell a buddy of mine once, this trans is done. They were selling it, an FJ60 for the owner who didn’t want to fix it. Truck only had 128,000, my buddy bought it for nothing.

he gets a replacement trans and is getting ready to put it in. I am at his shop and am like, hey man aren’t you curious why the old trans is wasted? So we pull the covers on it, looks like new inside, better than our used one. We look closer and notice the pins in the shifter retaining cover are all worn out. He makes some new pins and puts the old trans back it. Booya, fixed!

Moral of this story, just because they are “mechanics” doesn’t mean they know what they are talking about.

Good luck and Cheers

nd just received a message saying that the transmission is “completely broken”.

This is the language of someone telling bull****. If it was "broken" it probably wouldnt move and you would have had a symphony orchestra of transmission noises before it "broke"
And you rarely need to buy a new transmission. All the parts are available and you rebuild them.

Find another mechanic., the ones you have are either incompetent or crooked.

nd I have a faint but noticeable metal rattling sound

Are you 100% sure it is a transmission noise? Lots of things rattle on landcruisers. If it goes away when you put it in 4wd it could be from a slight change in RPM.

I would get under there and get an assistant to move it in and out of 4wd while you listen. Give all the grease nipples on the drive shafts and yokes some grease.

Are you 100% sure it is a transmission noise? Lots of things rattle on landcruisers. If it goes away when you put it in 4wd it could be from a slight change in RPM.

I would get under there and get an assistant to move it in and out of 4wd while you listen. Give all the grease nipples on the drive shafts and yokes some grease.
I am not 100% sure where it’s coming from. I can only assume it’s transmission/transfer case related due to the noise going away with 4WD.

If its not something rattling on the outside of the engine/gearbox, it maybe the clutch. How many klms on it?

If its not something rattling on the outside of the engine/gearbox, it maybe the clutch. How many klms on it?
It has 190,000km on it. Not sure if it’s the original clutch but the noise is there wether the clutch is engaged or not. One thing I forgot to mention also, is that I have placed the transfer case in neutral as well as placed the transmission in neutral and the noise still occurs while the vehicle is coasting out of gear completely which is why I feel the maintenance department at the dealer is full of crap.

At 190klms the clutch would still be good. The dealer is definitely full of crap. Ive driven quite a few of these over the years. The gearbox gives you about 150000klms of warning before it gets unbearable to drive.
It whines, crunches, jumps out of gear etc
are the transfer case linkages on the RH side of transmission all tight. Ive seen some of them rattle with age, but yours is still a new unit in landcruiser life

Hello,

I may be stating the obvious here.

It is possible that the oil in the transmission is too old and needs change. Or there is not enough of it in there.

Toyota's maintenance guides state "inspect and replace if necessary" regarding gearbox oil. However, many mechanics rarely go beyond the inspect part, and do not even complete the level.

Maybe your oil needs replacement.

Juan

Hello,

I may be stating the obvious here.

It is possible that the oil in the transmission is too old and needs change. Or there is not enough of it in there.

Toyota's maintenance guides state "inspect and replace if necessary" regarding gearbox oil. However, many mechanics rarely go beyond the inspect part, and do not even complete the level.

Maybe your oil needs replacement.

Juan
I’m changing all the fluids now all the way down to the power steering fluid. But as far as I have inspected fluids were full the whole time and none are terrible looking. I’m going to start with the u joints leading from the transfer case and work my way from there.

Does this noise happen when coasting?
how about coasting when neutral?
Yes, it happens when the vehicle is moving even when both the transmission and transfer case is in neutral. It is not RPM dependent and does not get louder with speed. Only 4wd makes it stop.

The best way is to lift all 4 wheels off the ground and then you can get under there and track the noise down with the engine turning the wheels.
Also, if you have a quiet street with a hill , you could try rolling down with the engine off. Just make sure the brake booster has vacuum and the steering is unlocked.

The best way is to lift all 4 wheels off the ground and then you can get under there and track the noise down with the engine turning the wheels.
Also, if you have a quiet street with a hill , you could try rolling down with the engine off. Just make sure the brake booster has vacuum and the steering is unlocked.
Not a bad idea. I thought about putting a GoPro under the vehicle but your way might be better. I am also going to drop the front shaft from the transfer case to the front diff and drive around in 2wd and see if the noise is still there. If it goes away I know what the problem is. Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it.

Update: I removed the front shaft from transfer case to front differential. Ujoints look fine and pivot smooth. I did notice the noise got louder when drove it without the front shaft in. The noise still goes away in 4WD. I attached a photo of the front of the t-case where the shaft attaches. I can wiggle it a decent amount and it gives a rattle noise very similar to that which I am hearing. Should it have that much play? And does anyone have a T-case they are willing to part with? 😂 I have an Instagram “1hzj73” if anyone would like to follow it. I posted a video for better understanding.

image.jpg

And does anyone have a T-case they are willing to part with?

You just rebuild them. They have to be disamantled to remove them, so you just replace the bearings and any parts that are not to spec.
When you say you can wriggle it, does it have up/down movement? If so, you would usually have oil seepage.
At 170000klm, it should still be good.

You just rebuild them. They have to be disamantled to remove them, so you just replace the bearings and any parts that are not to spec.
When you say you can wriggle it, does it have up/down movement? If so, you would usually have oil seepage.
At 170000klm, it should still be good.
If it does have up/down movement it is very little. I’m not seeing any leakage unless I bought it bone dry. But I had a complete inspection done on the vehicle and there is only 1 leak from my front differential that I have already ordered parts for so I can fix it. Guess I’ll be rebuilding a T-Case too lol.

When you say you can wiggle it, is that back and forward? Because that is normal to have a bit of slop and metallic clunks.
I'm not convinced that's your problem
Give us video with the noise.
Like I said , the t/case should be in good condition. It takes a lot of heavy duty use to wear out a t/case(or gearbox) in under 200000klms
Most japanese t/cases are like new inside because they never really got used all that often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom