HZJ105 Build or Convert? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks, sorry for the length of this post. I replaced my manual 1HD-T converted HZJ80 with an auto HZJ105 with a DTS turbo fitted, pre altitude compensator standard pump and injectors, 3” exhaust.
IMG_1900.jpeg

I was pretty pleased with the economy and power of my 80, but I’m deeply under whelmed by both in the 105 series. I now have three options. Please keep in mind that I regularly tow and tour, I’m not a social media influencer looking for tag lines like rolling coal or soot monster.

1/ If the engine checks out as healthy, I could get pump, injectors and turbo built and add an intercooler. What power and economy have people reliably achieved from this combination? I’ll obviously get a dyno tune and the AFRs and turbo performance will dictate the final outcome, I’m looking for guidance to aid in decision making.

2/ Assuming the 1HZ fails its heath check, I can refresh the engine. I have some left over 1HD-T parts and could either build a 1HD-T or 1HZ. The 1HZ would be the cheaper option. There are a great number of aftermarket piston options. Once again, what economy and power have people achieved? What pistons and rings have people used with success/failure?

3/ The most expensive option is to buy a wrecked HDJ100 and convert to what is an excellent and very economical engine. How close will the first two options get in power and economy?

Before anyone asks, I deeply regret not buying my car back, at the time the hole in the sump created by the diff pumpkin and no knowledge of how long the engine ran for after oil exited the party, left me with doubts about the engines health.

What economy are you actually getting? The 4spd auto makes them a slug, my mates have 4spds being a FT and a FTE, the FT with a bit of work goes well, but stock nothing special.
15.5-16l/100kms, and that’s on the highway doing 110kph, on 265/75/16 ATs, and I’m far from an aggressive driver. 19l/100kms towing 2000kg, and yes it’s gutless. I’ve owned over 40 vehicles and this is the only auto I’ve ever owned, and I’m deeply underwhelmed. I’ve tried to get feed back from owners who’ve managed to mod a A442F with any success. It’s a lot of money to spend if it doesn’t if it doesn’t completely change the auto’s performance. I recently drove a 5sp auto, what a completely different beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom