SOLD HZJ-80 Turbo, 1997 40th Anniversary, E-lockers (Utah) (1 Viewer)

Honestly I don't know. Being California and all of there rules, this is something I would recommend you look in to prior to purchasing this vehicle. The vehicle is registered as a diesel and that is shown on the title. It may be worth a call to the DMV and see what they have to say.

Was the diesel taken from a CA registered truck? Otherwise if the engine serial number doesn’t match existing CA DMV records or the vehicle is ‘84 or older it’s no going to pass AIr research board (ARB). Just thought since it was converted in CA you might have found a loop hole.

Hey Craig, just wanted to let you know that I tried and tried to work something out with family in Montana to register there. No go. I need a MT Driver's License to do it.

Such a bummer!!!

I have decided to send my truck up to Torfab for an E-rod LS3 swap instead.

To anyone interested in this truck, if it weren't obvious, it's done right. I spoke with Craig for a while and it seems to me nothing was missed.

Good luck!!!

YoYoHo

BJZ43 for Me !
SILVER Star
Have a read here and draw your own conclusions. I have several local Cruiser guys who have done Diesel Conversions into their Pre 97 80 series Cruisers without issue and all are fully tagged in CA . There is a lot of miss information and confusion which is why I say draw your own conclusion but I would say it is very possible and from what I have seen it is actually pretty simple by CA standards.

I’m not sure where they are getting the information from but CA is no smog for ‘75 or older petrol, ‘85 or older for diesel. The only way you can swap to diesel is if it’s a diesel CA vehicle with CA emissions installed. I’ve had several lengthy conversations with CA ARB, DMV, and CHP. The loop hole is if you keep a vehicle in a divorce, active military transfer, purchased as a replacement for a totaled or stollen vehicle while out of state.
CA does not follow the 25 year grandfather law. It’s not possible to retrofit any vehicle with in 2 years of new to be CA compliant. Any other compliance has to pass testing in SF,CA at the owners expense. It’s costly and often not possible to pass smog.

So my understanding is that if it’s not a CA built diesel it’s going to exceed any value in trying to make it work.

YoYoHo

BJZ43 for Me !
SILVER Star
I keep telling myself I will just ignore all the people who have never done s*** offering advice and I appreciate on the internet everyone is an expert and faceless ....

So I figure I will hand it over to @orangefj45 is has done lots of s*** and isn't faceless to tell you for me ..

and to prove my point, i took this one to the DMV today and we walked out less than 30 minutes later with a current reg, sticker and diesel title.

way too much hear-say and rumors out there.......

georg
View attachment 575385
I took one to the DMV a month ago; 97 80-series. Took 40 minutes total and he now has a CA diesel title.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

bugsnbikes

SILVER Star
1997 and older diesels dont need smog....so CARB doesnt apply. take Utah diesel title to dmv...and it will get registered as a diesel. Lady at desk will send u to a lineup for inspection which is simply to verify that the motor is a diesel. Pull forward.....pop hood....inspector verifies clackety-clack and i.p. And he checks the diesel box on his paperwork from inside.

current calif.vehicles reg'd in the cali system swapping to diesel suffer a host of problems vs out of state "bring ins". Notably having to use a diesel from the same class vehicle.

Last edited:
That's great info. Thank you for clarifying. Registering it in utah as a diesel was easy. Told the lady at the DMV that it was converted to a diesel. She changed it in the system, and i gave them my old title. They mailed me a new one that says it's a diesel.
GTG. Thanks.

bugsnbikes

SILVER Star
What kind of mpg's are you seeing on long trips vs in town? I imagine the turbo helps immensely compared to a non turbod version......"if" you can keep your foot out of it, 😀

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor
We typically see 20-22 mpg average and as high as 24-25 freeway only.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom