Hyundai - Crankcase pressure for quick turbo spool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a similar idea years ago. Using a compressed gas cylinder and a flapper valve in the intake with variable valve timing. The idea was when braking for a corner or a stop light the intake flapper valve closes blocking Incoming air. The same time variable valve timing causes the pistons to compress air into the blocked intake with the flapper valve diverting it to the compressed gas cylinder threw a one way valve. Hopefully still retaining some engine hold back. Then when the light turns green or after the corner you step on the gas the flapper valve returns to normal running position and the compressed gas cylinder with a regulator or something boosts the intake a couple Psi.

Another idea I had is to get rid of the starter on new gas cars. With crank sensors and electronic injection and spark timing I can’t see why a basic computer couldn’t figure out which cylinder is on a compression stroke. Fire a weak combustion in the first cylinder to get the engine spinning and the next cylinder fires normally and your off and running.

Maybe.

I’m sure people much smarter than me haven’t done it for some logical reason.

Last edited:
I had a similar idea years ago. Using a compressed gas cylinder and a flapper valve in the intake with variable valve timing. The idea was when braking for a corner or a stop light the intake flapper valve closes blocking Incoming air and fuel. The same time variable valve timing causes the pistons to compress air into the blocked intake with the flapper valve diverting it to the compressed gas cylinder threw a one way valve. Hopefully still retaining some engine hold back. Then when the light turns green or you step on the gas after the corner the flapper valve returns to normal running position and the compressed gas cylinder with a regulator or something boosts the intake a couple Psi.

Another idea I had is to get rid of the starter on new gas cars. With crank sensors and electronic injection and spark timing I can’t see why a basic computer couldn’t figure out which cylinder is on a compression stroke. Fire a weak combustion in the first cylinder to get the engine spinning and the next cylinder fires normally and your off and running.

Maybe.

I’m sure people much smarter than me haven’t done it for some logical reason.

Very interesting. I really like your second idea. With new direct injection gas engines that might be made to work. Especially if they could control exactly which crank position the engine stops so that the pistons are in the ideal spot. Any compressed air would leak away quickly, but if say the piston was half way up the compression stroke there might be enough air in there that a bit of fuel and spark would get the motor turning over.... Would really save the starter on those new cars that turn the motor off all the time when the car is stationary.

Very interesting. I really like your second idea. With new direct injection gas engines that might be made to work. Especially if they could control exactly which crank position the engine stops so that the pistons are in the ideal spot. Any compressed air would leak away quickly, but if say the piston was half way up the compression stroke there might be enough air in there that a bit of fuel and spark would get the motor turning over.... Would really save the starter on those new cars that turn the motor off all the time when the car is stationary.

Yeah exactly, your right the first couple explosions would likely be weak. Enough to get it spinning enough I don’t know. Some gassers probably could work some can still start with a very low battery barely turning the starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom