1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hypothetical game/question

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by T Y L E R, Jul 27, 2005.

1. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Narc !!!

'sides .... who invited you anyway? You''re way too close to the subject to play the game. :flipoff2:

:D

2. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

we don't have accents, you guys just talk funny...

i'm serious though, we have decent facilities, nice people, you don't need to learn a new language (unless you visit johnathon ferguson), just learn to listen to what we say :) and we've got hills and the ocean

3. daughterofromer

daughterofromer

Media:
    Albums:
    but where in australia would i go? thats like someone saying "im moving to the US?" "oh yeah what part?" "dunno, just the US"

so this is gunna be another big reserach project in and of itself......

suggestions?? specially regarding schools (and the extracurriculars- im not a complete loner yet)

4. lx450landcruiser

lx450landcruiser Moderator

remeber to breath by the way it acctully helps

mike

5. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    United States Air Force.

Hate to say that on this board, but seriously; the AF changed my life. I had NO idea what I wanted to do prior to my 4 years enlisted.

I can tell you this: The military (enlisted especially) is a woman's world on the AF side. Every month our "Airman of the Month" was female. Great for the chicks....

Anyway. I may be way off target. If so, sorry. But I'm still only 25 and have NO regrets. If you were to tell me 8 years ago I'd be where I am today, I would've laughed my ass off.

Save traveling for the days when you can afford to do it right. Traveling broke and calling Mom and Dad for money REALLY has to suck.

You can go to school [they encourage it], have awesome wheeling, and be able to say you "did it" 15 years from now.

Or not. I'll never regret serving.

6. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

depends what you want

sydney or melbourne for education. melbourne (but i'm biases cause i grew up there) is a million times nicer than sydney... extracurricular stuff, well their capital cities, if you cant find a group with your interests, chances are your interests are illegal everywhere but amsterdam.

Perth is beutiful, a bit smaller city, isolated from the east coast... but quite stunning. adelaide is similar except, less isolated, but less beutiful.

tasmania is pretty remote by US city standard... plus they all have 2 heads

queensland is a bit of a tourist trap, or all desert and rainforest. hottest weather, no idea of the standing of the schools there though.

word of warning, make sure you independantly research the location of the campus your interested in. when i was at deakin warrnambool (small coastal town) many an unsuspecting exchange student wound up there because while it is a nice campus, they were lead to believe it was only a small hike from the city of melbourne, when in fact it's over 4 hours away.

7. Hey Charger

Hey Charger

I lived in Greenville South Carolina , in 1998 for 9 months , i shifted over for a job opportunity that was available at the time ,

the plan was for me to stay for 2 years and get my greencard which i would have got , and basically relocate to stay and live in Greenville South Carolina , and also i would of had to become an American citizen.

I loved the place and people , i travelled to quite a few places in the States and loved every minute of it and had a ball , as well as i worked my arse off !!!

but i coudlnt force my self into believing that i will live there forever , so at crunch time when i had to make a decision i said " Take me home " , i have no regrets but i relised that i carnt leave " Australia " for a long period of time .

Since then i have proved it to myself again buy travelling around Europe for 8 weeks and couldnt wait to get home , there nothing like the feeling of coming home!! No matter how much fun you had whilst on holiday !!

I love travelling and will keep travelling , but i love coming home just as much !!!

Cheers
    Hey Charger.

8. calamaridog

calamaridog

Northern California, Oregon, WA, heck even AZ have some decent college choices...

College is much better while you are young, and more fun;)

9. Poriomania

Poriomania

If you want an honest and informed answer to this question, ask someone you're willing to be up front with and can trust.

Secondly, get a grip. While changing physical location can often help a person who needs to change their "personal situation" you also need to be honest about your own motives, are you escaping issues with someone's personality, or are you getting out of a truly bad situation? Also if you're thinking about expirimenting with paths think about how each path might affect someone you might walk down it with.

Are you wiling to make sacrifices (aka deals/compromises) to ensure your future comfort/security? If not what is your plan for going your own way? Moving to Australia (or any other place) can be easy or comfortable, usually not both. I've looked into it BTW. Easy isn't comfortable, and comfortable means a lot of work to earn it.

Personal advice from someone who left home to travel without a plan for an education or future... Get your ass to DU or CU if you just have to get away and get a degree. After that you have a lot more options and a lot more opportunities to do what you really want to. You might even know by then.

10. mabrodis

mabrodis

Ok, thanks for playing everyone, but here's the real plan.

This story starts with a bright, motivated girl in Colorado, we'll call her Sally. Sally had no reason to leave Colorado except to see more of the country, so the grass wasn't greener on the other side, but there was grass and she wanted to see it. She grew more and more anxious to get out and do something. A friend she went to highschool with was going to visit a relative in San Diego for a month, asked Sally if she wanted to come. Sally was thrilled, she was getting the chance to visit another city, another part of the US and had a good (free) place to say. Sally and her friend had a great time in San Diego, going club'n, beach parties, camping, all around fun and a great place to live. Sally was checking out some job opportunieis while in San Diego and was offered a job and the job paid half tuition for any college classes she took, what a great plan...so after returning to Colorado with her friend, Sally packed up her stuff into her sweet 4runner and drove to San Diego with a friend, got an apartment and spent the next 3 years working and taking classes. Sally came back to Colorado often, to visit, to wheel, to see her ever-loving-family...Sally loved the freedom of being away but loved coming back home also...and everyone lived happily ever after... :D

(ok, so it's not good, but hey, you install a tranny by YOURSELF and breath half a can of brake cleaner and then try to have rational thoughts!) :D

11. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    the answer depends on what type degree you are going after, have you picked a path yet? (oops i just read post 18, liberal arts, big waste of money)

I could tell you this much, if you attend a college in South Carolina (Clemson or USC) and show up with a jacked up 4-runner with an ARB bumper you will have every guy in the school chasing you around.

12. OZCAL

OZCAL

You saving the other half for breakfast?:flipoff2:

Seriously though, good story. The point I take from it is that sometimes you just have to jump in...

David

13. Critter

Critter

Flawed example... you need (so she couldn’t be just a year older)
    A) at least a BS or BA, MBA is becoming increasing more common.
    B) and killer technical sales exp.

Connections don't lead much of anywhere in this industry either. This is what I am trying to do... I had an interview Friday with a XX Billion dollar a year pharmaceutical company and there were 50 people competing for 1 spot. I did receive my big fat rejection letter this morning though.

14. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:

you left off:
    C) huge rack and tight skirt
    D) a flirty infectious giggle
    E) and winkey eye lashes

all the pharmaceutical sales reps i know are chicks

15. Critter

Critter

And if they are good at and with good companies, they are probably also the most financially stable chicks you know. Looks and brains are a deadly combination.

16. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:

you are correct

17. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Leave it to someone trying to break into the industry to notice. Maybe I flawed it on purpose .. ever think of that? ;p Designed to be discovered after the fact .. after she's hit the big open road. Mom and Dad figure it out one nite in a light bulb moment, and call R. All she has to do is smile and acknowledge their discovery. "You two are right .. there never was a Debbie. I made that up to put you minds at ease before I left .. but I want you to remember I love you two, and will talk to you each day so you know I'm ok. I'm even stopping by Cousin Vinnie's place to visit, so you can get a report from them too .. hehe"

We'll mention the Aussie rocker she hooks up with on the road a tad later in the story. Don't want Dad on some hell bent cross country quest, guns blazing. :D

TY

18. Critter

Critter

Oh come on man, we are trying to atleast fabricate something that will get her out of state before her Daddy starts looking for her.

Those damned Aussies... bastards.

19. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Easy, North Carolina. Mountians for 4wheelin' and snow skiing in the west, and beautiful beaches with awesome surfing and fishing to the east. Great climate, a little humid at times. Atlanta is not far south, charlotte has about everything you will need. DC is not too far north. Head west to Nashville for some good country music. 10 hours south is Disney World. What else do you need other than snow skiing in the rockies.

20. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Hypothetically....for the sake of discussion, let's say this is you... ;)

You'll find good schools through out the country. The combination of what you're looking for will help narrow down what you want.

I'm going to do a little PR for California.
    If you want to be close to mountains (skiing, hiking, 4wheeling) and be close to a good school, I'd suggest U.C. Davis (near Sacramento). You'll be a couple hours from San Francisco and a couple hours from a dozen ski resorts in the Sierras.

If you prefer more city, less mountains, there are number of great schools in the CA bay area (around San Francisco) -- U.C. Berkeley, Stanford, for example. Closer to San Francisco, but not too far from the mountains (about a 3.5 to 4 hour drive).

More sun? What about southern California? Mark mentioned San Diego. It's one of my favorite cities to visit -- I'd definitely live there. There you have U.C. San Diego, University of San Diego and San Diego State.
    How about UCLA? Right next to Beverly Hills...and a decent school (my niece went there and absolutely loved it). Another option, in central CA, if you want wheeling and beach could be Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo -- that might give Romer an excuse to drive out to Surf-n-Turf :D (Pismo Beach is just a few miles from SLO).

To be honest with you, there only three or four other places I'd consider moving to outside the state of California.