Hydroboost brake system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My vacuum booster is giving up the ghost and a replacement is close to $300. Has anyone put a hydroboost on their 60 ? If so, how much did it cost ? and how did it work out ? This is my DD so I need reliability and predictability. Is this a reasonable direction to go in ?

Thanks for any input
Bill

Hydro boost it's nice .. I was just one step away from doing that .. the only thing that stops me, it's the PS pump dependance ..

But down here I have few friends with hydroboost in their Cruiser and brakes as a sport car .. you just need to touch it and it stop !

Boots 's rig is Hydroboost. There is some info in his Family Haulin' thread in the hardcore section. I am currently swapping over to the Hydroboost system as well.

That being said... I'm in Hillsboro and I have my old vacuum system out of my 60 that I'd go for DIRT CHEAP if your interested.

you are going to spend some coin that mill make that new booster appear a great bargain.

i disagree with this....you can get the hydroboost/master cylinder at pull-a-part for $50 then all you need is two hydraulic lines made should be able to do the whole thing for approx. $100

I've got hydroboost, it uses a GM master cyclinder. It came off the P-30 step van that my 4bt was in. But, the original was in such rusted shape and leaking that it had to be replaced with a new one. There's nothing that great about it - although it will lock up the front wheels if you step on it hard enough, the pedal is very very stiff. It took me over a week to get used to having almost no play in the brake pedal. Sometimes it feels like you're pressing on a brick wall. There's no apparent give, but the truck stops just fine.

i disagree with this....you can get the hydroboost/master cylinder at pull-a-part for $50 then all you need is two hydraulic lines made should be able to do the whole thing for approx. $100

I disagree with you.

A good used booster can be anywhere from free to less than $50. Bolt on & go. No pump, no lines, no fluid, no mess. Doesn't provide the same pressure/stoping power as a HB but unless your axles, tire size, GVWR or specific driving requirements warrant, it is overkill. And considerably more complicated.

As for donor vehicles, look for anything domestic 1-ton and larger.

I've got hydroboost, it uses a GM master cyclinder. It came off the P-30 step van that my 4bt was in. But, the original was in such rusted shape and leaking that it had to be replaced with a new one. There's nothing that great about it - although it will lock up the front wheels if you step on it hard enough, the pedal is very very stiff. It took me over a week to get used to having almost no play in the brake pedal. Sometimes it feels like you're pressing on a brick wall. There's no apparent give, but the truck stops just fine.

What did you replace your master with? Size? Sounds like it's a little mismatched for the rest of your system.

I got one of my HBr's from a chevy astrovan.

What did you replace your master with? Size? Sounds like it's a little mismatched for the rest of your system.

I got one of my HBr's from a chevy astrovan.

I think my was a direct replacement for the one out of the p-30. It looks identical to yours :D
Out of curiosity, mine was a re-man unit, and the lid doesn't seal so well. So when I'm on the trail at a steep angle some fluid always pours down the side. Is this common?

No, that should not be happening.

I'm guessing that you've got a massively large bore master on there. Try something in the 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" zone.

I'm not using the original MC that came from the stepvan anymore. I did start with it, tried a smaller bore MC (1 1/4" I think), had my HB start to leak so I bought another in the junkyard (chevy astro) that had an MC attached and that's what I'm at right now. So I am currently running a 1 1/8" bore MC and it's pretty good. If you can find a 1 1/16" bore MC I think that would be just about perfect but I'm plenty happy with my current set up to not spend the money on changing it. I want to say the stepvan MC was something like 1 5/8" but don't take that as fact. Hope you can get it dialed in a little better.

I disagree with you.

A good used booster can be anywhere from free to less than $50. Bolt on & go. No pump, no lines, no fluid, no mess. Doesn't provide the same pressure/stoping power as a HB but unless your axles, tire size, GVWR or specific driving requirements warrant, it is overkill. And considerably more complicated.

As for donor vehicles, look for anything domestic 1-ton and larger.

SO what do you disagree about?.....that it can't be done for $100 or less? cuz i know you can......i never said it was easy;p

What engine are you running?

My vacuum booster is giving up the ghost and a replacement is close to $300. Has anyone put a hydroboost on their 60 ? If so, how much did it cost ? and how did it work out ? This is my DD so I need reliability and predictability. Is this a reasonable direction to go in ?

Thanks for any input
Bill

I got a rebuild Wabco for my 4BTA for $165. It came with a warranty, DVD on how to install it, all the special seal installing tools, ect.

My "Set Up" is

Cummins 4BTA
Wabco pump in front of the Power steering pump
1/2 gallon vacuum tank
FJ80 Booster
Mini Truck (disc front drum rear) master with 1 1/8" bore (I think)

Works great.

Gear Drive.

I dont have any pics of the entire setup on the garage computer but the rebuilt one comes with the new drive coupler installed.
DSCF7078.jpg
DSCF7075.jpg
DSCF7074.jpg

that means you open your PS pump and attachet it directly .. ? I was thinking in some electrica vaccum maker .. that would allow me to run a bigger alt in Tencha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom