hydro assisted 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.longestroad.com
Winters here and I think its time for a little more power in the power steering. Anyone now where to sourse the ram for a hydro-assist steering? Also, Any tips on where to drill the steering box? With 38s and a front locker, she's getting pretty hard to pilot in the rocks

i see post all the time concerning disc brakes and such for all types of vehicles race car stuff will easily do the trick try www.afco.com they have a servo from sweet mfg that will run a remote slave weld on brake brackets for discs alum. radiators and all kinds of cool other s***!good day,BRAD

muddogbob, Thanks for the help. That's a sweet write-up you did. I'll start drillin' and tappin' after the next payday.

Winslow said:
muddogbob, Thanks for the help. That's a sweet write-up you did. I'll start drillin' and tappin' after the next payday.

Ha, sorry. I didn't mean to imply that it was my writeup! This is the writeup I followed to do my drill and tap. This writeup is for a yota pickup, but they box is tapped the same exact way for our wagons.

Good luck

Here are some pics of mine. Rob Lassman of Radd Cruisers did the box tapping and install.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Damn. That's a nice install. How much did it cost?

How easy is it to turn now? Justify the cost?

:beer:

I wish I could tell you. I bought the axles from Mr. Straub already set up. I havent driven her yet!!! I'll report in as soon as I do.

pump mods

It sounds like to get the juices flowing you need to also pull any kind of restrictor from the pump itself. I think I'll contract the drilling and tapping to the guys in Texas, I can probably handle the welding. Wonder if I'll still need a steering stabilizer? Probably not.

Winslow said:
It sounds like to get the juices flowing you need to also pull any kind of restrictor from the pump itself. I think I'll contract the drilling and tapping to the guys in Texas, I can probably handle the welding. Wonder if I'll still need a steering stabilizer? Probably not.

The ram acts like a steering stabalizer. A really really BIG stabalizer!

For those who've done it, what difference do you notice with stock suspension and tire size? Looks like something good to do once I have larger tires, but do I really need to worry about it before then?

Spook50 said:
For those who've done it, what difference do you notice with stock suspension and tire size? Looks like something good to do once I have larger tires, but do I really need to worry about it before then?

You won't need assist unless you're running at least 35s and a front locker.

Im running 37" MTR's with a front ARB.
picture.JPG

muddogbob said:
You won't need assist unless you're running at least 35s and a front locker.
"Need" is such an arbitrary word ;)

Stock 60 steering sucks.. Adding hydro assist will only help it.

I am going to port my box and eventually go hydro assist :)

Anyone know how expensive the kit/parts are?

That might help in the decision making process.

Depends, I believe hte WT kit is like $499 and he rebuilds your box :)

Just getting the box ported and rebuilt is $150
their ram is about $160

if you can source your own parts (the ram on my 40 was $43) costs can be kept to a minimum.

The problem is that you want a 1.5" ram with a 6" stroke. Not typically an on the shelf thing..

True. $500 is not bad for a complete conversion.

Now are we limited to a 1.5 inch ram, or could we run bigger? In theory, if you could fit a bigger ram, then you would have more pushing power for not that much more money. Just a thought.

Problem with a bigger ram is the potential for "lag time" in turning. Basically, when you are sitting still there will be a second or two where you cannot turn until the ram builds up pressure and the box is allowed some assist pressure.

It happens on my 40 with a 2" ram. Not too bad but on a mostly street rig I would not suggest it.

But yes, a 2" ram will give you more assist. But a 1.5" ram is all you really need in a street 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom