hydro assist 1.5X8X.75 DA HYD CYL goo size for FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
1.5X8X.75 DA HYD CYL.

I plan on Hydro assist for my fj40 , will be mounting one end of the ram to my diff and the other to the my Tie rod. I have 60 seris steering so cannot mount one end to my frame. I was thinking about a cyl. the size above. Would this be large enough to cycle my steering from stop to stop?

Or would a 1.5X6X.75 DA HYD CYL be better?

Last edited:
1.5 x 6 is the way to go.

I installed the 2"X6" throw ram assist on my 85 mini truck axles and it works great

I have 4X4 labs Hysteer steering arms on mine and the 6" ram limits my turning radius terribly. My TR moves 7.75". I now have my grubby little paws on an 8" that will be installed this weekend!

MEASURE HOW MUCH YOUR TIE ROD MOVES TO BE SURE.

Last edited:
4x4 labs arms are considerably longer than a stock FJ60 steering is. But you are right, the best option is to measure the total throw necessary just to make sure..

ok i am hijacking you dan

question: I know if you run the ram paralel to the tierod and the pitman is pushing less than paralell (say at 20' when the drivers side front is drooped and pass front is stuffed) there will be disproportionate arc between the pitman and the ram. thus some tendancy to oppose one onother if there is a ram on the tierod of a crossover setup.

keeping this in mind is it ok to mount the assiting ram on the tierod as opposed to the link going from my pass side highsteer arm to the pitman?

I will be running a crossover steering. I could easily run a highsteer but my tires are big and my truck is heavy and I would like to protect my knuckles and this is why I am running a crossover.

Mace?

With hydro assist, the ram only moves on its own when the box is “maxed out”, there is no definite link between the two systems. The easiest way to understand this is to hook the system up and leave the ram disconnected from its tierod mount. When steering without much resistance the ram won’t move, but when you bottom the box out in one direction of the other (turned full lock) the ram will move.

ok i am hijacking you dan

question: I know if you run the ram paralel to the tierod and the pitman is pushing less than paralell (say at 20' when the drivers side front is drooped and pass front is stuffed) there will be disproportionate arc between the pitman and the ram. thus some tendancy to oppose one onother if there is a ram on the tierod of a crossover setup.

keeping this in mind is it ok to mount the assiting ram on the tierod as opposed to the link going from my pass side highsteer arm to the pitman?

I will be running a crossover steering. I could easily run a highsteer but my tires are big and my truck is heavy and I would like to protect my knuckles and this is why I am running a crossover.

Mace?

did you sleeve the tierod so yours doesn't bend for the ram mount?

With hydro assist, the ram only moves on its own when the box is “maxed out”, there is no definite link between the two systems. The easiest way to understand this is to hook the system up and leave the ram disconnected from its tierod mount. When steering without much resistance the ram won’t move, but when you bottom the box out in one direction of the other (turned full lock) the ram will move.

No, the ram will have to extend ( or compress) fully before the steering box will be able to function if you disconnect it. This is why larger rams feel "slow" at a stoplight. The fluid will bypass the stock box till it has a restriction, then it will let the box move. That is also the reason putting the ram on the TR is no big deal at all..

You are right Mace, I should have said no resistance, I have done it with the tires off the ground and the ram does not move until on the stops. With any resistance the ram will have to fully extend. Either way, not mechanically linked

Nice explaination. I will ram the tierod

I have some 1.5" x 1/8 dom and some 1 3/4" x 1/4 dom and can use either for the tierod. I was planning on using the 1.5 alone. I only have tube adapters for the 1.5". but i do have some 2" x 1/4" dom I caould use to sleeve the 1.5 but this sounds like a bit overkill;)

D, I am using 1.25"x.25 DOM for the tierod and draglink all w/ heim ends. 1.5 is too thick and will seemingly cause clearance issues.

As far as the Hydro assist, I'm doing an 1.5 w/ 8" stroke (as per Slee) running off of stock 80 steering box and pump with and added oversized cooling res.

D, I am using 1.25"x.25 DOM for the tierod and draglink all w/ heim ends. 1.5 is too thick and will seemingly cause clearance issues.

As far as the Hydro assist, I'm doing an 1.5 w/ 8" stroke (as per Slee) running off of stock 80 steering box and pump with and added oversized cooling res.

Im using 1 ton tre's except at the pitman where I am using an 80 series tre from marlin

I like the thick look

Im using 1 ton tre's except at the pitman where I am using an 80 series tre from marlin

I like the thick look and with crossover there shouldn't be a clearance issue

you will love the ram, and wish you would have done it sooner,

1.5 x .120 dom is gonna bend if you hit a rock..

I prefer .250 1.5 or thicker.

I did mean thicker material, not diameter ;)

But that will be stupid strong steering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom