Hydraulic Winch into a HJ60 ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
Would love to put a winch on the front of my 24v Hj60. 24v winches are $$s and hard to find. Wondering if a Hydraulic winch is my answer? Will my PS pump handle this?

Yes, but it will be sllllloooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ;)

I tried it also at first. Not funny.
Better is to have a dedicated pump. Either by pto, or, if you have a free pulley on your crankshaft, use a beltdriven pump.
I did it that way and the winch is still not the quickest of the pack ;) ;) but acceptable.
If I had to do it once again I would go for a slightly larger pump. Pump at present is 6 ccm/rev and around 9 ccm/rev should be better. The pump runs at a slightly higher rpm than the engine. The pumppulley is slighty smaller than the crankpulley but I've used an A/C clutch at the pump so it doesn't run when not needed.
The best thing I did was adding an oilcooler to the hydraulic system. Once I've been winching for almost two hours without hardly any interruption in the desert under hot conditions (noon). No problem. Before that the reservoir would overflow after about 20 min.
Second best I did was adding a pressure relief valve. The pump is capable of delivering almost twice the max allowed pressure for the winch motor. When the load get's too high and therefore pressure would rise unacceptable, now the valve will dump the pressure back to the reservoir (through the oil cooler because the fluid heats up very quickly when dumped!)

All this will add to the bill but if you (like me) can do the install by yourself, the damage to your purse will be limited. The pump costed me about 120 USD, the cooler around 50, valve I cannot remember (100 USD?) the A/C clutch was from the sc r a p heap (just a few dollars for a beer). Welding struts and supports for pump, valve, cooler and reservoir ( a tank for a PS) I did my self as well.

Last edited:
I put a Milemarker on my BJ 60, it was one of the ones for the US Military (hummer warn replacement) which seems to be a 12,000lb body with a 10, 500lb motor. I have it running on a stock PS pump, and on a dynamometer it pulls about 8000 lbs. Sure it's slow in low gear, (but in high gear it's fine for line recovery) but it gives me steady pull at a safe speed with loads of safety factor. A dedicated pump would be nice, but it isn't neccesary, IMHO.
You should be able to call MM to see if they have the control solenoids in 24vdc.

You should be able to call MM to see if they have the control solenoids in 24vdc.

The solenoids don't need a lot of current, so if you have a 12V source (converter?) you are fine. Mine runs from a 10Amp converter that feeds the radios, GPSses/moving map and whatever. No real need to get 24V solenoids, however they have 24V versions available see here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom