Hydraulic A442F problems stuttering/slipping/flaring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Run into a few problems with my transmission recently that seem to keep going in circles and I haven't seen anyone with similar problems on here so I'll get to it.

First noticed in 4Hi when hitting steep soft sand dunes at speed and flooring it up I keep hearing a "stuttering" almost like a dolphin, it continues to lose power and seemingly shift in and out of neutral when doing this, however I think this is a T-case thing as it doesn't make the noise in 4Lo. I have quite a bit of power on tap but I can't hold a gear and constantly slip/flare in between changes. Recently I was climbing a sand dune and at quite a few points it felt like the box went into neutral, zero power but revs spiked to 3k+ and I was losing speed. On the road the box doesn't make any of the noises or go fully into neutral but when I put my foot straight to the floor it slips a gear straight away and can't shift unless I take my foot off the gas. It also feels like it's sapping my power hugely, I have quite a few engine mods and should be knocking at around 180ish hp at the wheels but compared to even some stock cars I'm sluggish uphill and especially in soft sand. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sounds more like a TB/transmission cable problem than a transmission problem, based on your comments about occurrence when accelerating.

have you referenced the factory service manual's troubleshooting procedure for the transmission?

Its available for FREE via the link in my signature.

Run into a few problems with my transmission recently that seem to keep going in circles and I haven't seen anyone with similar problems on here so I'll get to it.

First noticed in 4Hi when hitting steep soft sand dunes at speed and flooring it up I keep hearing a "stuttering" almost like a dolphin, it continues to lose power and seemingly shift in and out of neutral when doing this, however I think this is a T-case thing as it doesn't make the noise in 4Lo. I have quite a bit of power on tap but I can't hold a gear and constantly slip/flare in between changes. Recently I was climbing a sand dune and at quite a few points it felt like the box went into neutral, zero power but revs spiked to 3k+ and I was losing speed. On the road the box doesn't make any of the noises or go fully into neutral but when I put my foot straight to the floor it slips a gear straight away and can't shift unless I take my foot off the gas. It also feels like it's sapping my power hugely, I have quite a few engine mods and should be knocking at around 180ish hp at the wheels but compared to even some stock cars I'm sluggish uphill and especially in soft sand. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hi all. My name is Andrew and I am from Malta (Europe)
I have finally bought a Landcruiser 1HD 80 Series 1991.
Unfortunately it came with a problem :(

When driving on overdrive and reaching from 75-80 km/h it starts sputtering and shaking really badly.
I keep on driving and as it passes the 80km/h it stops. When it is still cool the sputtering is not that much but by time its gets worse.
It also makes a loud thud noise when shifting from Neutral to Drive or form Neutral to Reverse

I have changed oil and filter of gearbox.

Any ideas of what it might be please?
Thank You
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom