Hydraulic A442F not shifting right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I meant to reply to this thread once I joined Mud but have you drained the fluid and put in Transynd? Then check your kick down cable. Mine had 260km when it developed issues. I took 1/2" of slack out of the cable (FSM says 1/8" in front of the orange stopper - mine sits at 1/2" now) and it's been fine ever since. Mine also had trouble shifting when it was cold and at around 3000m in elevation.

Hello from the Philippines. I had exactly the same problems as you. 80 would rev all the way up to 4000 without auto shifting to second. When the tranny is hot, it would shift just fine. I only had the 80 for about 3 months now. Bought it from the "low lands" then drove it to the "high lands", about 2 hour drive with an elevation gain of about 2,000 meters. The tranny did overheat during the drive, no trailer in tow, just long steep climb.

Just to be clear, there really are 2 A442Fs tranny. One is full hydraulic (no solenoid) and the other with ECT (4 solenoids). Mine is fulll hydraulic too (no overdrive).

I read every thread on this forum related to this problem but no luck in finding a solution. I dropped the pan and cleaned the filter, it wasn't dirty and oil seems to be ok color wise so I just did a drain and fill.

What I finally did was add a bottle of SeaFoam Transtune and Lucas Transfix. It was still the same. Mainly used it to go to the grocery due to the Covid lockdown. After about 100 kms of going in and out of town the problem magically disappeared. It shifts fine now. Went for a quick get away after lockdown restrictions was eased but had the same overheating problem on long climbs (no trailer). So maybe if you want a "temporary fix" try the Lucas and SeaFoam.

I ask around where I live and he suggested the rubber clutch piston seals have hardened up because of it's age and not sealing, allowing ATF fluid to pass through it instead of staying behind the piston. When the tranny is hot the seals soften and it will seal, that's why the 80 shifts fine when hot. That's his solution. Replace the seals.

I still have the overheating problem so I might have him do it in the near future. I'll let you know. For now Lucas and SeaFoam seem to work just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom