Hydraulic A442F not shifting right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I have a 1991 hdj81 1hdt w/ a hydraulic A442F (I believe it’s hydraulic and not the electronic type because it’s a 91) so my problem is my transmission doesn’t like to shift out of 1st gear when the engine is still cold, I have to manually put the stick into 2nd and it will shift into 2nd and I can throw it in 3rd or D, once the engine is warmed up the trans shifts like normal. If I let the truck sit for say an hour and it cools down it hesitates to shift but it does around 2600 RPM, here’s the catch, the trans does this when it’s warm weather like 20°c and up but it winter the trans shifts no problem when cold. I believe this whole mess is me and my dads fault because we were towing our boat and overheated the trans and it started leaking transmission oil, it stopped leaking once it cooled down and we filled the trans with some gas station universal ATF, we didn’t know how much we lost or how much we put it, well the trans was fine for like a year til the trans started having the problem, well anyways I checked the trans dip stick n the oil was at the HOT level when it was cold so I dumped the fluid via drain under the trans and filled it up with Dextron lll to the correct level hoping the problems would go away, they didn’t. I know I neglected the transmission but does anyone know how can I fix it? The truck only has 260,000kms. Also does anyone know of a good transmission rebuilder in Ontario Canada that knows how to work on these transmissions or anyone that sells them just in case mine is toast? Anyways sorry about the long post I just really wanted to go in depth and try to explain everything clearly about what’s wrong with my trans.

9D88A2B4-F770-4AD9-BD0C-A7CF04B44D3A.jpeg

I could be wrong but I think all a442’s are electronic. I would start with solenoids. On the side of the transmission is the solenoid plug unhook it and see if it will shift manually through each gear. If so then it’s the solenoids. Go ahead and replace them all while your in there. It’s pretty easy as far as transmission work goes @slow95z showed me how to change them in his driveway.

The diesel rigs are actually hydraulic

so @Kernal has been PMing me has been super helpful and suggested on cleaning the pan and doing a complete fluid exchange, I’m not 100% sure as I can’t find a answer on other threads and I’m hoping someone can chime in but is there a replacement filter inside? If so does anyone know the part number for it? Also a part number for the trans pan gasket

If it's like the one on the 1fz there is a metal screen you can clean out with brakes part cleaner.

His plate does say is an A442F...but he said he shifted into 2nd gear...sincehe did not say about the 2nd strt button, I would be thinking he has an A440F that is totally hydraulic with no electronics...but it would mean that it was changed at some point

Now, there are two versions of the A442F transmission...but both used selenoids...the newer one was also used on the first HDJ100 (some markets) as the newer was used with the 1HD-FT engine and the 1HD-T...best bet is to check your model precisely maybe go to www.toyodiy.com or any other good one

Last edited:
His plate does say is an A442F...but he said he shifted into 2nd gear...sincehe did not say about the 2nd strt button, I would be thinking he has an A440F that is totally hydraulic with no electronics...but it would mean that it was changed at some point

Now, there are two versions of the A442F transmission...but both used selenoids...the newer one was also used on the first HDJ100 (some markets) as the newer was used with the 1HD-FT engine and the 1HD-T...best bet is to check your model precisely maybe go to www.toyodiy.com or any other good one

My shifter order is P R N D 3 2 L if tat helps identify if it’s a a442f or a a440f

The thought my trans was hydraulic because I read on a thread that there was two versions of the transmission a hydraulic without any solenoids and a electronic version with solenoids , I think i read that the hydraulic went from 91-92 and electronic 92+. I’ll try to find the thread I read that from, also the PO said something about the transmission being hydraulic.

Last edited:
Can confirm '90-'92 HDJ81's had fully hydraulic A442F's with 4th gear lockup, zero electronics. '93+ got the electronic A442F with 3rd and 4th gear TC lockup.

@veiloctane If you're looking at buying some Wholesale Automatic goodies for the rebuild, you might want to speak with Rodney and see if he has any troubleshooting tips or diagnostic tips to help confirm what your issues are, few know these transmissions as well as he will.

This is why I think mine is hydraulic
Link:REBUILD A442F HYDRO HDJ81

My shifter order is P R N D 3 2 L if tat helps identify if it’s a a442f or a a440f

The thought my trans was hydraulic because I read on a thread that there was two versions of the transmission a hydraulic without any solenoids and a electronic version with solenoids , I think i read that the hydraulic went from 91-92 and electronic 92+. I’ll try to find the thread I read that from, also the PO said something about the transmission being hydraulic.
That 3 there tells me is not an 442, it is a 440, also what IanB said, no OD or power or 2nd strt buttons

A '91 HDJ81 will have the non-electronic version of the A442F, you will have no "power" button on the dash, and no O/D on/off button on the shifter.

That’s exactly what I have, so it being a non electronic version, there’s going to be no solenoids right?

That’s exactly what I have, so it being a non electronic version, there’s going to be no solenoids right?

That's right, it's a fully hydraulic version.

That 3 there tells me is not an 442, it is a 440, also what IanB said, no OD or power or 2nd strt buttons

HDJ81's did not come with A440's, early versions had fully hydraulic A442F's, and the '93+ got the electronic version A442F.

Ok so my transmission is a fully hydraulic version no more confusion

So solenoids are off the list, anyone have an idea else is causing my problem?

Anyone know any land cruiser mechanics or shops that can work on these trucks and would know a thing or two about these transmissions in Ontario Canada

Your bin plate shows an A442F Tranny.
Your can try driving as if you were shifting a manual tranny by easing of the fuel when she's ready for second gear.
Remember that these transactions will only shift into 4th once they have warmed up.

Your bin plate shows an A442F Tranny.
Your can try driving as if you were shifting a manual tranny by easing of the fuel when she's ready for second gear.
Remember that these transactions will only shift into 4th once they have warmed up.

I tried that but still didn’t wanna go into second, I jus been manually shifting into 2nd and 3rd and once it goes into those gears once I can throw it into D and it will shift fine, I didn’t know they don’t go in to 4th cold

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom