hydralic start system - adapting it to a 3b. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was once a helo mechanic and we had one of the most interesting systems to start the Jet engines...even with a dead battery. What was installed on the body of the aircraft was a small turbine that supplied shaft hp to the gear assesory section. The hydralic pumps, generators, tachometer generator and so on, was powered by this assesory section gear box.

Now how to get the turbine started without a battery is interesting. The APU as we call it, was started with a hydralic pump. The Pump drew its hydralic pressure from a Nitrogen/Hydralic accumulator simular to this setup

http://www.44mlb.com/hydrostarters.html

The accumlator had 3,000 psi of hydralic pressure stores. When the hydralic value was energized, the hydralic fluid to race to the pump, and spin the pump and the APU turbine. The aPU would be fully running the hydralic pump and recharge the accumulator for another start.

I wonder if such a system can be adapted to the 3b motor? Imagine the batteries would not long require the CCA nessesary to start the engines. The hydralic motor would. If the engine does not start, you just exausted the hydralic pressure from a failed start. Never fear, a hydralic pumps stick is near! You and your budy each take turns to maximize the pressure by pumping the manual hydralic pump 195 times.

I miss those days :) One example: failed start go and pump up the accumulator is like a work out and exersize in fustration. I remember doing it three times, APU refused to start. Ohh those were some fun times.

Anyway, what would the cost, time and money to refrofit such a system to a 3b?

Thanks

This is close to "why bother" level..... have a good condition starter system and battery... if you're really anal, have a backup battery that is only used if no.1 battery fails... or always park on a hill.....

There is more hose connections on that than on a life support system, be easier to buy a compressed bottle of air and a air starter.

Starter.jpg

......go for it..... people would say ... " why ?? " ..... the answer would be " Because I can and nobody else has it "..... thats reason enough for me... ;) ........

Come on man get real this is a Landcruiser we are talking about ! How about a cartridge type starter to impress the neighbours at 5am ?
IMG_20141123_212749.JPG

muddtrux, I read up on on cartridge starters. Fascinating. BTW, does the explosive charge stay contained in a accumulator, where the gasses are sent to a air starter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom