Hybrid t-case question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I run an SM420 with the toyota 3-speed t-case behind it. I just rebuilt the tranny and thought I would go through the t-case while it was on the bench. I ordered a 3-speed t-case rebuild kit, but like most guys running this setup I had changed the front output housing to the 4-speed t-case unit so that the linkage works. Now, of course the idler shaft won't fit. Questions:

1. This is a common setup, does anyone make a hybrid kit?
2. Can I just use a 4-speed kit - are the bearings, seals and gaskets the same and just the idler shaft different.
3. If no on 2 and 3, where ca I find the best deal on just a 4-speed idler shaft?

TIA

My mistake - wrong name

I blew it in my original post. It's not the idler gear shaft - what I'm trying to refer to is a shaft (no gears) that shifts the t-case. Mine has a large slot for the linkage and a couple of grooves along the bottom. The one that came with the 3-speed case has a ring groove around the circumference of the shaft and is a bit smaller in diameter. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for your reply though.

Sorry, but I still can't figure out what the problem is. The 2w/4w shifters are different for 3sp and 4sp, but they are interchangeableon the nose cone. I can't think of anything in a rebuild kit that would be different in regard to this shifter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom