Hybrid t-case question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Diesel Wannabe, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Diesel Wannabe

Diesel Wannabe

I run an SM420 with the toyota 3-speed t-case behind it. I just rebuilt the tranny and thought I would go through the t-case while it was on the bench. I ordered a 3-speed t-case rebuild kit, but like most guys running this setup I had changed the front output housing to the 4-speed t-case unit so that the linkage works. Now, of course the idler shaft won't fit. Questions:

1. This is a common setup, does anyone make a hybrid kit?
    2. Can I just use a 4-speed kit - are the bearings, seals and gaskets the same and just the idler shaft different.
    3. If no on 2 and 3, where ca I find the best deal on just a 4-speed idler shaft?

TIA

2. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

The idler gear shaft is the same for all J30 transfer cases; 3sp or 4sp.

3. Diesel Wannabe

Diesel Wannabe

My mistake - wrong name

I blew it in my original post. It's not the idler gear shaft - what I'm trying to refer to is a shaft (no gears) that shifts the t-case. Mine has a large slot for the linkage and a couple of grooves along the bottom. The one that came with the 3-speed case has a ring groove around the circumference of the shaft and is a bit smaller in diameter. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for your reply though.

4. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Sorry, but I still can't figure out what the problem is. The 2w/4w shifters are different for 3sp and 4sp, but they are interchangeableon the nose cone. I can't think of anything in a rebuild kit that would be different in regard to this shifter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.