Hybrid Steering system....HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, im converting my 76 FJ40 to power steering, i decide to use an FJ60 box, but at the same time im swaping my steering column for a mid 80's firebird column(already install new wireing and it fit chevy Steering column), my 40 have a Chevy 350 engine, so i'll go for saginaw power pump.....:p
So i have 2 main issues right now:
1-steer shaft, i grab the ond from the fj60 box, and the one from the chevy steering column...wonder if i should cut and weld them (dont like the idea), looking at jegs i find the sell steering shafts, but not sure what i should buy.
2-hoses... still need to figure out how to get this done.....saw some custom presure hose, but a bit expensive and core is so hi, and dont have old hose to trade.....saw some adaptes but the 16 and 17 mm i guess.....but the end in a male tread.....so not sure whats next there.....

Thanks in advice for any help.

Have a local shop make you the hose you need. You will need to bring them the correct ends for the GM pump and the Toyota PS box - whether metric or SAE. The shop will generally not have or supply the fittings. Test-fit all the parts so that your hose will clear any obstructions. The return hoses and cooler hoses can be made with SAE 30R9 fuel hose (EFI-rated).

You will likely need to have a custom steering shaft welded - the top half is GM, and the bottom half is Toyota. This is pretty standard in cases like yours. Be sure to have this welded competently, since your life depends on it.

I can appreciate the question on steering shafts. I tried to keep the stock GM universal joint at the bottom of the column but found that it didn't articulate enough to make the new angle. Therefore I ended up ordering a Borgeson joint ( Amazon.com: Borgeson 014952 3/4" DD x 1" DD Steering U-Joint: Automotive ) I ended up welding shaft material together but vowed that if I had to do it again, I would order a D-shaft from JEGS like you suggest with Borgeson joint's for both ends. It would be much cleaner installation. Post #25 here shows a picture (not really great but... ) https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/417104-its-road-2.html

As for hoses, you'll have to find a shop to custom make them. One end with a SAE thread, the other metric. I lucked out and had a guy in our machine shop make me an adapter so I could re-use the metric hose that came from the 60. I could not find any adapters that would convert metric male to SAE male. Most just have the hose made with proper ends.

You can adapt the steering box pressure side to a "-6" and convert the output on the pump to a "-6" and either make or have made a hose to the length you need. The ends can be anywhere from straight to 180 elbows to fit most any installation. Makes trail repairs very easy if you get reusable ends. Aeroquip and Russell and Earl's would be good starting points to look for ends and adapters.

As far as the steering shaft goes the solid input shaft for the 60 box is extremely close to 3/4" and was easily welded to a 3/4 bore u-joint for my set-up. I am not sure what your GM shaft looks like but generally costs a little bit to do it safe and cleanly.

Steering linkage size?

i was wondering if i chose to order a shaft from jegs, what do i need to order so it fit on the GM side (steering) i guess is a doble "D" 3/4? and then need a joint for the FJ60 box? i guess i kinda answer my own Q....but still kinda confused...i have some $$ to spend on this project, and i wanna do the best i can.

thanks for help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom