Husky Tool Chest v. Harbor Freight Tool Chest (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posting this to get opinions about the Husky tool chest available at Home Depot compared to the Harbor Freight tool chest.

The Husky 41" is available for $450 right now
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Husky-41-in-16-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Cabinet-Set-HOTC4016B1QES/205080371/

The Harbor Freight 44" bottom & top for $640 total
http://t.harborfreight.com/tool-sto...ossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-68784.html

http://t.harborfreight.com/tool-sto...lossy-red-roller-cabinet-top-chest-68787.html

My first impression of the Husky.... it's okay with the 100lb slides, it will probably do what I need it do without failure (garage use for tool storage).

The Harbor Freight seems a bit nicer, but is it worth the extra $200?

(I'd like a Snap-on tool chest, etc.... But I'll never want to spend that for the amount of use I'd give it)

I've looked at the HF chests and was surprised how nice they were. Costco has some nice quality ones as well which as they go on sale are a good deal. A lot of it depends on the configuration you need and what tools you have

I would never buy a tool chest new anymore. Too many great bargains on Craigslist.

I've looked at the Costco boxes, the layout is a little funky with some big storage in weird places. I'm sure it's a decent product. The matte paint looks like it has a chance to chip easily as well.

I'll search craigslist again, people are asking $$$ for their junk boxes last time I checked.

Same boat CL seems $$$ for a decent box. After reading a lot of garage forums on other sites it seems like HF is actually putting out a good box.

i bought this unit at my local hf. it had a small dent and a couple scratches on it. I got it for $249.00 out the door. I popped out the dent, and every now n then have to mess with the lower drawer where the dent was. If I spent some time with it, I could totally fix it. It holds a ton of stuff, has huge casters, and a good pull handle. The handle or pair of swivel casters can be mounted on either side. The 42 inch was too big and too much money for me. If I ever need more space, I'll just get another one of these, and line em up beside each other.

http://www.harborfreight.com/26-in-...iMjk5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p ZCI6Ijc3NDMifQ==

image_11487.jpg

Yep. Harbor Freight Tool Chests (pro versions) top rated on garagejournalDOTcom. I love mine.

I have a 5 drawer rollaround unit , love it . It's job is to store all the parts/tools for my lathe , including a 120lb 4-jaw chuck , no issues at all . The drawer locks , slides and such are excellent quality and will take an amazing amount of weight . If I ever get a larger shop I'll have several of them for moving around to various projects - can't beat the price/quality compared to everyone else . Can't wait to upgrade my old outdated Crapsman to the US General Pro 56" unit .
Sarge

yup, lotsa used ones on CL. Bought several. Craftsman all.
Don't know much about the HFs, but I suspect they may be harder to sell used for a good price with that name on them.
If you like Craftsman ones, Sears does have big sales periodically on them, and often display units for sale. (They do come in several grades, not too fond of the least expensive ones with flimsy slides.)

I have a husky roll around and I like the brake system on it more than the Harbor freight kind. I used to keep the box outside under a work bench because I didn't have a garage and I would wheel it out the back gate to whatever car I was working on. If its just gonna stay in the garage in the same place then I guess the Tire/ brakes don't really matter but if you're going to be wheeling it around I would invest in whatever one rolls the best.

the ball bearing drawers are probably about the same quality

I abused that box a fair amount and after it sitting out in NM for a few years and being moved around a few times the ball bearings for the drawers could use a good cleaning but I would buy the same box over again if need be.

I have a harbor freight lower 13 drawer chest. Love it. I usually don't buy at hf and researched alot. Hf chest has awesome reviews and I love mine. I highly recommend it.

I have a Craftsman Professional Roller top and bottom box that i bought new for work 27 years ago. Total they cost me over 1400 bucks in 1988 dollars, but i have never had a single problem with them. Best of all they were made right here in the USA for Craftsman by Waterloo, by American workers. I try not to buy anything at all made in China, i like to keep the jobs and money here in our country. YMMV

Ive worked out of snap-on boxes, craftsman, armstrong, napa pro, and my harborfreight is nicer than any but the snappy.

i bought this unit at my local hf. it had a small dent and a couple scratches on it. I got it for $249.00 out the door. I popped out the dent, and every now n then have to mess with the lower drawer where the dent was. If I spent some time with it, I could totally fix it. It holds a ton of stuff, has huge casters, and a good pull handle. The handle or pair of swivel casters can be mounted on either side. The 42 inch was too big and too much money for me. If I ever need more space, I'll just get another one of these, and line em up beside each other.

http://www.harborfreight.com/26-in-16-Drawer-Glossy-Red-Roller-Cabinet-Combo-67831.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNzMyODE0NzQiLCJza3UiOiI2NzgzMSIsImlzIjoiMjk5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p ZCI6Ijc3NDMifQ==

image_11487.jpg

Is that the $170 (approx) box? My neighbor has that and seems to like it. I went with two 4 drawer steelcase lateral filing cabinets for $100 total. Not great for my handtools, but swallowed my cases, saws, garage liquids, extension cords, etc. Think I'm going to get a roller handcart later, I don't have that many tools.

no, its the much larger, higher quality box than the 170.00 unit.

I love my HF 56" box. I cannot recommend than more and it was such an upgrade from my 25 year old Craftsman. Dollar for dollar I am happy with my purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom