Events/Trails Hurricane Creek May 22-24 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In hopes that the USDA will reopen the national forests just in time for us to embark on our yearly trek through Cherokee National Forest, we are sticking with the plans and keeping our fingers crossed. Post up if you are in.

This is an Expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject: Limited/no bathrooms, no gas stops, no showers, no guaranteed camping sites as we will be miles from paved roads at times. We will be seeing a mixture of mostly gravel roads, some paved, and even some 4x4 only roads. Along the way you can expect short mountain hikes, scenic views, refreshing mountain streams, cool nights spent around a campfire and maybe a bear or two. Expectations are that any Toyota with 4WD will do fine on the terrain we'll be covering. (Read here: You don't need lockers, a lift, mud tires, etc.)

As far as equipment, gear, etc., those attending will coordinate so we don't have more than 2 of most things (campstoves, etc) and yet ensure we have firewood, tarps, rope, saws, shovels, potable water, etc. At a minimum, an attendee would need a lightweight sleeping bag, tent, and cooler/fridge, and $ for the group meals.

Like last year this trip will be open and limited to 6paid members of ONSC, 6 paid members of UC, and 6 paid members of LCLC. We require that attendees have an active membership before signing up to give our contributing club members a fair shot, given the fact that these trips are extremely popular and that they are official events. PM me with any questions or clarifications needed.

We'll meet around 11:00-12:00 at the Sierra Nevada brewery in Asheville for lunch Friday May 22nd. After lunch, we'll head down the road to HC and make our way up to camp. More trip details to come.

The trip is a family friendly trip and we encourage bringing the kids as well as WELL-behaved dogs. Out of respect for the entire group, if your dog cannot behave unleashed around other dogs and people (especially children) please do not bring them.

Here is the tentative plan (subject to change based on weather, attendance, and availability). We will make our way to camp at Wolf Creek Falls on Friday night. Here you can expect to relax and enjoy a small private campsite and waterfall, and depends on who shows up, possibly a late night acoustic serenade around the campfire. Saturday we will make all efforts to depart the camp by 11am and work our way back down to Max Patch Mountain for a hike to the top where we can hang out for a bit. This is a great place for the kids, dogs, and flying kites! After here we will spend about 3 hours or so on a traverse through Martha Sundquist to Stone Mountain and back. Depending on group size we may head south across I-40 instead of back to Martha Sundquist to camp at another riverside campsite off Longarm Mountain. Sunday morning we will pack up and work our way toward the interstate and hit a couple more must-see spots on the way out.

Roster:
UC:
1. @Bryanseye (Potluck Paid)
2. @SCDerby (Potluck Paid)
3. @IcutYourCruiser (Potluck Paid)
4. @Trollhole (Potluck Paid)
5. @yamaguchigumi (Potluck Paid)
6. @JToobe

ONSC:
1. @ceby (Potluck Paid)
2. @forrest5000
3. @jamesurq

3. @NC LX (Potluck Paid)
4. @weekenderlander
5. @AJR (Potluck Paid)
6. @roadstr6

Wait List fill ins:
1. @raanderson77 (Potluck Paid)
2. @Tincan93
3. @dmark84
4. @Yotahead52
5. @Jsparks117 (Potluck Paid)
6. @aquatech3 (Potluck Paid)

Last edited:
In!!!

In hopes that the USDA will reopen the national forests just in time for us to embark on our yearly trek through Cherokee National Forest, we are sticking with the plans and keeping our fingers crossed. Post up if you are in.

This is an Expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject: Limited/no bathrooms, no gas stops, no showers, no guaranteed camping sites as we will be miles from paved roads at times. We will be seeing a mixture of mostly gravel roads, some paved, and even some 4x4 only roads. Along the way you can expect short mountain hikes, scenic views, refreshing mountain streams, cool nights spent around a campfire and maybe a bear or two. Expectations are that any Toyota with 4WD will do fine on the terrain we'll be covering. (Read here: You don't need lockers, a lift, mud tires, etc.)

As far as equipment, gear, etc., those attending will coordinate so we don't have more than 2 of most things (campstoves, etc) and yet ensure we have firewood, tarps, rope, saws, shovels, potable water, etc. At a minimum, an attendee would need a lightweight sleeping bag, tent, and cooler/fridge, and $ for the group meals.

Like last year this trip will be open and limited to 6paid members of ONSC, 6 paid members of UC, and 6 paid members of LCLC. We require that attendees have an active membership before signing up to give our contributing club members a fair shot, given the fact that these trips are extremely popular and that they are official events. PM me with any questions or clarifications needed.

We'll meet around 11:00-12:00 at the Sierra Nevada brewery in Asheville for lunch Friday May 22nd. After lunch, we'll head down the road to HC and make our way up to camp. More trip details to come.

The trip is a family friendly trip and we encourage bringing the kids as well as WELL-behaved dogs. Out of respect for the entire group, if your dog cannot behave unleashed around other dogs and people (especially children) please do not bring them.

Here is the tentative plan (subject to change based on weather, attendance, and availability). We will make our way to camp at Wolf Creek Falls on Friday night. Here you can expect to relax and enjoy a small private campsite and waterfall, and depends on who shows up, possibly a late night acoustic serenade around the campfire. Saturday we will make all efforts to depart the camp by 11am and work our way back down to Max Patch Mountain for a hike to the top where we can hang out for a bit. This is a great place for the kids, dogs, and flying kites! After here we will spend about 3 hours or so on a traverse through Martha Sundquist to Stone Mountain and back. Depending on group size we may head south across I-40 instead of back to Martha Sundquist to camp at another riverside campsite off Longarm Mountain. Sunday morning we will pack up and work our way toward the interstate and hit a couple more must-see spots on the way out.

Roster:
1. @ceby
2. @Bryanseye
3. @forrest5000
4. @roadstr6
5. @IcutYourCruiser
In

Count me in!

As of today, the TN side, Cherokee, is already less restrictive. NC, Pisgah, has their date pushed out all the way to August or until rescinded sooner. So if we were going today, we could drive through NC, but legal camping would be in TN. Not bad at all, and could become even better.

1588604635852.png

In depending on spots available.
Had a race that weekend that just got cancelled. Looks like spots are full. So put me on the wait list!
Being this close to the dates, I will fill in the other clubs spots at weeks end if they do not get taken.

In on waiting list I guess . Put ME on dual waiting lists. I have Dual membership!! ONSC and UC. 😂😂

Sorry y'all on the waitlist...had to rearrange it one spot. Just noticed I missed @raanderson77 post yesterday morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom