Hunt for my 1st 60 Series turned BUILD thread! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

echodeuce

LC Fiend
Threads
I recently joined MUD and I'm addicted to it already. I have zero experience with FJs and been reading/learning daily. I currently own a 2002 Toyota Tacoma DC, 2015 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off-Road 4x4 and a 1971 K5 Blazer 4x4. My K5 is currently for sale so I may fund my FJ purchase. I love the K5, but my family and I need a more kid friendly vehicle with a more creature comforts. The FJ 60 series totally fits the bill. A very capable 4x4 family wagon that still has the vintage classic vibe to it.

The search began in the usual places like eBay, Craigslist and Autotrader. I'm looking for something with under 200K miles and in the 10K-15K price range. I found two Fj62s that have potential. One is in the Dallas area about 5 hours from my home and another is in PA. I have purchased vehicles in the past from out of state and had them shipped, so the one in PA doesn't scare me off. I'm worried about PA winters and the havoc salted roads can cause to these vehicles. I requested the Autocheck report for the FJ62 (1988) in PA and it spent its first 11 years in Montana. After that it spent the next 5 years in Norwalk, Connecticut and the next 10 years in Mount Laurel, NJ. Do the winters in the states I mention wreak havoc on FJs like in PA? I'm from South Texas where we have two seasons, one month of mild winter and summer. We have zero snow and the city I live shuts down if a thin sheet of ice or sleet falls on the roads. The FJ from PA only has 189K miles on the odometer. Can anybody recommend a third party inspection company, so I can have the vehicle inspected before I make an offer?

I'm a member of Tundra and K5 forums, so I'm looking forward to forming new relationships with MUD members. I WILL own a FJ, I just need to find the perfect one for our family. As soon as I free up some funds with my K5, it's GAME ON!

If anybody is looking for a first Generation K5 Blazer 4x4, here is my craigslist ad below.

Last edited:
Being that you are in Texas I would avoid any East Coast rigs, lots of South West rigs. Rust is the biggest enemy of a 60. Be patient! You'll eventually be rewarded. Welcome to Mud.

Guess prices are going up...those are some nice rigs.

Welcome to mud, if money was no issue i would buy your K5 now i always wanted one i would even trade an FJ62 if i had one. Early 70s Blazer are getting harder to find nowadays. Check this out in Monterey CA.

1988 land cruiser

Guess prices are going up...those are some nice rigs.

Prices are on the rise for 1st Gen K5s. With that said, my price is negotiable for a motivated buyer with cash.

Might drive up to the Dallas area next week to check out one of the FJ62s I mentioned. Does anybody know of somebody who would do an inspection of the LC for me if needed?

I need to take a deep breath and have some patience. This has always been a tough thing for me when I really want something.

There is a sweet 60 in ARK just listed. I would stay 60 vs 62. Had both and have the manual trans is a winner all day. Also no electric windows to go bad.

There is a sweet 60 in ARK just listed. I would stay 60 vs 62. Had both and have the manual trans is a winner all day. Also no electric windows to go bad.

Wife wants the auto FJ62 and really when I started to think about it, so do I. I'm also ready for electric windows, locks and cruise control. It's only going to be used for camping trips and the occasionally beach trip. No crazy wheeling here.

I would look long and hard at a 100 series. Not to sway you but when 62 trans s***s the bed.....big money. When window motors and door locks fail big money.

Not to mention if you actually want to go anywhere with hills just be ready to add in a few more hours as travel time.

Have owned all the wagons except the 200 and by far 100 is the most comfortable and joy to camp in also.

Best of luck....I will get out of your thread.

I would test drive both before you decide on a FJ62. I understand wanting the automatic, but the auto trans in the 62 is a dog and I've heard that they often need rebuilding after 100k. I test drove a 62 when I was looking and immediately knew that wasn't what I wanted. But everyone's tastes are different.

Where in Texas are you?

I would test drive both before you decide on a FJ62. I understand wanting the automatic, but the auto trans in the 62 is a dog and I've heard that they often need rebuilding after 100k. I test drove a 62 when I was looking and immediately knew that wasn't what I wanted. But everyone's tastes are different.

Where in Texas are you?

I'm in the San Antonio area. I have no problem getting a tranny rebuilt if needed for a keeper. I'm not about the manual tranny these days. It's all about comfort with this LC. It will definitely be a few steps up from the K5 in that department.

I would look long and hard at a 100 series. Not to sway you but when 62 trans s***s the bed.....big money. When window motors and door locks fail big money.

Not to mention if you actually want to go anywhere with hills just be ready to add in a few more hours as travel time.

Have owned all the wagons except the 200 and by far 100 is the most comfortable and joy to camp in also.

Best of luck....I will get out of your thread.

The FJ100 looks way to modern for what I wanted. The 60 Series still has that "old school vintage" look I'm looking for IMHO. I already have a modern 4x4, my brand new Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road. Not too many hills in flat South Texas. Like I said, think camping, beach cruiser and probably take it out to our family ranch during hunting season. It's going to be strictly a weekend warrior that my wife would also like to drive. We also have two toddlers that will go along for the ride. Happy wife, happy life.

I'm in the San Antonio area. I have no problem getting a tranny rebuilt if needed for a keeper. I'm not about the manual tranny these days. It's all about comfort with this LC. It will definitely be a few steps up from the K5 in that department.

I'm in San Antonio, so I'll keep an eye out. There are some good guys in our area with 60s. Good luck on the search!

I'm in San Antonio, so I'll keep an eye out. There are some good guys in our area with 60s. Good luck on the search!

Sweet! That's good to know. Any good mechanics in town that specialize in LC? What about accessories like bumpers and lift kit installers?

Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for OME(Old Man Emu)lifts and ARB bumpers! A 2" inch lift makes a big difference in the stance and ride, what the wagon should have had straight from the factory!

Sweet! That's good to know. Any good mechanics in town that specialize in LC? What about accessories like bumpers and lift kit installers?

Alamo Auto Doctors specializes in Land Cruisers here in town. They're around 410 and 35. Husband and wife shop. I believe he's an ex-toyota master tech with a lot of experience working on older Land Cruisers. I've only had work done once there but I've heard a lot of good things about them from others. Every time I've been over there, there have been multiple FJ60's in the lineup. I imagine they'll install accessories for you as well.

Lots of great vendors on this forum to get whatever it is you need. And lots of really great threads on this forum that have touched on nearly every topic imaginable.

Last edited:
Sold 1 of 2 First Gen K5 Blazers that I own today. This one was a 70 and I owned her for the last 16 years. Sure was bitter sweet to see her go, but she went to a good home. Now to concentrate on selling my blue 71 so I can buy our FJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom